Solicitor delaying paying off Mortgage

fishes1967

Hi

Recently sold a house. Closed on 27/3 and I received the excess money over the mortgage on 30/3 transferred to my bank a/c from solicitor.

For 1st two weeks of April I was on holidays and returned to find another mortgage direct debit had been taken. Mortgage Co. have told me they received no redemption money. On and off for the last 2 weeks, I have been on to my solicitor who firstly told me it was paid off and he would follow it up with Mortgage Co.

Still no joy and I have written formally to him. On Wed 25/4, he stated that he has twice tried to electronically transfer this money without joy (although this was the 1st time I heard this from him) and he stated that he sent in a bank draft on that morning (Wed 25/4). Today another direct debit was taken and the mortgage co. stated that they still have received no bank draft nor do they have anything in their post room from this solicitor.

Solicitor never calls back. Takes about 1 in 10 calls. I have been rational and lost the head with him, all to no avail so far.

I'm wondering what's the best course of action. Another registered letter? Contact Law Society? Stop Direct Debit (reluctant to impact my credit rating)? Presume I am entitled to refund of any additional interest from solicitor?

Any advice would be welcome
F

write to senior partner and if sole practitioner, to the solicitor him/herself, asking for explanation and mentioning that you may have to refer to the Law Society.

In you letter you should also seek repayment of any interest you had to pay due to his/her delay

Go straight to the Law Society you have given him enough chances but at the same time write to him saying that you will be seeking to recover the additional interest paid.

He can't try and fail to electrinically ransfer and then just sit on it. BTW if it's First Active that could be part of the problem, though it is actually easy enough to remedy.

Or you could name and shame him so no1 else gets caught out !

Friend works in a bank,
He told me that solicitor customers of theirs had millions of customers money waiting for clearance earning daily interest.
Your solicitor has your money on deposit.
Bring this far, ask for the bank record, bank draft id, he won't be able to wiggle out of it. Ask him where he got the bank draft issued, bank holds a record of each draft issued.

P.J.

Same thing happened to me late last year.Solicitor failled to pay off a mortgage .I charged him for two mortgage payments that were charged to me and he paid it

Back