Solicitor contract - Bank authority wording

DuckEgg

Hello, I'm co executor on my mother's will, we are using solicitors to process the will for us.
We have to sign letters to enter in to the contract, but the wording for the bank authority seems very broad.
I understand some authority is needed.
They made the will, and both we and friends have had dealings with them so they are trusted. However I'm uneasy there is no time-frame on this, or that it says 'for purpose of will' or that it says they will tell me. Am i over cautious, is it standard? Would appreciate advice from legal folks, thanks.

Wording:
I, MyName (ome of the legal personal representatives in the estate of mothersname late of address) hereby authorize my solicitors CompanyName of TheirAddress to negotiate and endorse all loan cheques/drafts/payment orders of any kind from.any bank, building society or lending institution on my behalf.

It's perfectly reasonable

If you need to get a solicitor to do the probate for you, and you shouldn't need to, then you have to give them authority.

Most solicitors are honest and you will be compensated if this one defrauds you. So no worries.

Brendan

A much bigger issues is fees.

People complain all the time about solicitors exploiting probate cases for fees.

For example:

If it's a straightforward case, you could save a lot by doing it yourself.

But if they sell a house for you, they will probably charge you "standard fees" which are much higher than you would negotiate in the open market.

All the clause does is give the solicitor the authority to gather funds in that are collected. Once in they should go to the solicitors client account. It;s perfectly standard. You should also get a statement of potential fees from the solicitor.

Back