Sold car but still registered in my name

Motot taxation says

"The onus is always on the seller of the vehicle to ensure that the Change Of Ownership notification is completed correctly and submitted to the relevant authority "

Billo

I think I will make a visit to see him this weekend. His phone is off so probably hasnt received any of my messages. Id rather sort this out as gents instead of concerning the local men in black

so bnage did you get this guy sorted out or what

Iv spoken to the dvla today who confirmed the car is now in his name. Its just the fine I need to worry about now.

I will continue to chase him until the deadline for the fine; I dont want it going up to £1000 and then a court appearance!

Thanks for everyones advise. I admit its partly my fault; Im too trusting I suppose. Ill be more careful next time!

If the car is now in his name (or at least I would have thought the name of the person he sold it to) what date does the transfer of ownership have on it? You could pay the £70 and then send the tax disc back to get a refund for the difference between the change of ownership date and the tax renewal date. As the refunds are full months and not part months it should only cost you a months road tax (based on the dates on the previous posts).

I'd say it would be difficult to prove to the DVLA that you sold the car prior to the tax being due, due to the fact that the change of ownership date is the only evidence they have to go on.

Hi everybody.

This thread has gotton huge, i havent much time to read back over the posts, the answer to my question is prob there.

This morning my brother rang me. He has gotton a letter from the tax office sayin car out of tax end of jan.

He sold this car to a dealer 7 months ago. I have seen this car been driven around my local town. We both think the dealer has sold it because it has not been on his list of cars for sale. Also my brother gets his car serviced with him and hasnt seen it.

What should my brother do? go to the tax office and fill out the form someone mentioned here?

I remembered this post on aam so said id ask. Hes very annoyed about it.

thanks.

several months ago i sold a car, posted off the docs to shannon, however i started getting fines for unpaid parking. i contacted shannon and explained the car was sold and they had documents. i also sent them a letter stating same. however, today i've gotten 2 summons for court in Jan for these upaid fines.

where do i stand, the car appears to be still registered in my name? do i have to attend court or just contact shannon 'again'.

thanks

Ditto. Happened to me with a dealer with my current car. I bought it from a dealer two years ago and for the best part of a year I was getting letters from the tax office to pay for road tax, even though I knew the car was sold from the dealer to another person.

Eventually the Motor Tax Office sent me a form which I was to get witnessed by a solicitor or Notary to swear I had sold the car. There's a specific form so I guess it's common enough.

Out of indignation (oh, with the world in general :) ) I never went to the trouble of getting this done. The tax office stopped sending me demands after the Third and final request.

Now, that I know more about it I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IGNORING the demand and fill out the avadavat.

This happened to me today - I received notification of a parking penalty for an offence on the 18/12 for a vehicle I traded in during October. I called the parking office and they said to fill in the notification form supplied with the notice to show the details of the trader and their address. I then called the trader involved and he said to send him the penalty notice so that he could deal with it. My colleagues from the motor trade say that it is common practice for dealers to not change the ownership of a vehicle until it has been sold on, but that it should not be used until then.

I'm really surprised by this - it seems a big messy hole that could cause lots of legal and financial headaches. Is there a way for me to transfer ownership seeing that the dealership has the relevant documents?

Had the same happened (traded in & got speeding fine). Shannon want me to get the notary but I didn;t see why I should have to pay for this (would have if it went to late). Took about 10 calls & eventually got it sorted. I said to Shannon that this was a crazy set-up & then (for the first time) they said that there IS an interim form for the dealers to send in but most don't seem to as they are liable once this goes in, until they sell it & send in the final tranfer of ownership. Very lax set up....as the seller is the one wasting time to sort it out!

Ok - this has gone further now and we have to get a sworn affidavit stating who we sold the car to and on what date. Can anyone tell me how we go about arranging this? GOD!! I hate all this at the same time as buying a house!

My colleagues from the motor trade say that it is common practice for dealers to not change the ownership of a vehicle until it has been sold on, but that it should not be used until then.

Are you sure this is always done? Last time I traded in car, I transfered the old car into name of the dealership - they requested that I do this. Was a well known v. large dealership in Dublin.

Back