Sky broadband - ONT box query

Sunny

Recently moved into new house and was going to get SKY broadband as have tv with them. They checked and telling me FTTP is available but I need to restart my ONT box. Have looked high and low but can't see anything. Can't decide if looking in wrong place or if previous owners took it. Checked the SIRO website and saying it I'd available at this house.

Any idea how this works? If I do want FTTP and missing ONT box, who do I contact?

Your post is a bit difficult to understand.
Are you saying that the ONT box should be there but you can't find it?
Maybe somebody did take it?
Can you find out where fibre comes into your premises and trace from there?

Your post is a bit difficult to understand.
Are you saying that the ONT box should be there but you can't find it?
Maybe somebody did take it?
Can you find out where fibre comes into your premises and trace from there?

I don't understand myself so hard to explain. I have sky and siro saying fibre is available at my property but I have no idea how I am supposed to prove it. I can't see where the fibre comes in but don't know how these things are usually installed as never had it before.
Sky are telling me they can't do anything without the ONT box but I would have thought it was up to them to sort it out if the infrastructure was there.

Will try a different provider and see what they say.

Are you sure they said restart your ONT? It's usually right beside the router, as it has to be connected to it with an ethernet cable. Unless you're using an existing FTTH provider, it's unlikely you have one.

Seems more likely you're in an area served by Siro. If so, tell them you've never had FTTH before and need to have an ONT installed.

Are you sure they said restart your ONT? It's usually right beside the router, as it has to be connected to it with an ethernet cable. Unless you're using an existing FTTH provider, it's unlikely you have one.

Seems more likely you're in an area served by Siro. If so, tell them you've never had FTTH before and need to have an ONT installed.

Yeah they said needed to restart it and contact them again in 24 hour. What you say makes sense though. Will contact them again.

Is the property showing on the Sky systems as previously having FTTH I wonder...

The ONT box looks like the one on the left in the image on this page. If the fibre is coming in underground conduit, there should be an access point / inspection box outside the house somewhere.

Is the property showing on the Sky systems as previously having FTTH I wonder...

The ONT box looks like the one on the left in the image on this page. If the fibre is coming in underground conduit, there should be an access point / inspection box outside the house somewhere.

Thanks for that.

They are telling me it is showing up but they can't get a signal to check hence which is why they are telling me to restart it. I have the box on the right from that picture but nothing beside it. Presume it has been removed. I will have a look again outside to see if I can find the access point.

Thanks for that.

They are telling me it is showing up but they can't get a signal to check hence which is why they are telling me to restart it. I have the box on the right from that picture but nothing beside it. Presume it has been removed. I will have a look again outside to see if I can find the access point.
Likely removed by the previous owners who didn't realise it was supposed to stay. Is there anything that looks like the right-most connection on that box anywhere around where you suspect it was?

When I signed up to Vodafone after moving to my current house the installer had an ONT box in the standard install pack, but previous owners had left the old one so I was left with a spare. If you have friends or neighbours on fibre, one of them might have a spare available, but locating the fibre itself is step #1.

Yeah they said needed to restart it and contact them again in 24 hour. What you say makes sense though. Will contact them again.
Tell them that there isn't one , then they will have to send out someone to check.. If they are interested in connecting you.

Back