Single dwelling - flats

P

phoenix_n

Hi,

Wonder if someone could be of some help. To change a single dwelling into a number a flats i understand you need to apply for planning permisson. What area does this fall under assuming that there is no change to the exterior of the building.

I am purchasing a property which has 2 self contained bedsits and a fire-escape alongside the main house. This would have had permisson i assume at some stage. Would i need planning to re-config the house so that its say 3 flats .

Thanks..........

phoenix_n said:
Hi,

Wonder if someone could be of some help. To change a single dwelling into a number a flats i understand you need to apply for planning permisson. What area does this fall under assuming that there is no change to the exterior of the building.

I am purchasing a property which has 2 self contained bedsits and a fire-escape alongside the main house. This would have had permisson i assume at some stage. Would i need planning to re-config the house so that its say 3 flats .

Thanks..........

You will need planning permission and a fire cert as you are carrying out a "material alteration". Check the planning file first to be sure that the original use has permission otherwise you will require an application for "change of use". A fire safety cert. application will be required in any case as you are making a "material alteration" by sub-dividing an existing space, BS5588 Part 1 contains guidance on what is required- pleasant bed time reading material!

Carpenter said:
You will need planning permission and a fire cert as you are carrying out a "material alteration". Check the planning file first to be sure that the original use has permission otherwise you will require an application for "change of use". A fire safety cert. application will be required in any case as you are making a "material alteration" by sub-dividing an existing space, BS5588 Part 1 contains guidance on what is required- pleasant bed time reading material!

Great. Thanks, just the sort of info that i needed.
Searched the on-line records for post-planning permisson and could not find anything so will have to call into the local offices for more info.

Back