Signing away rights

Stef143

Is it possible to get my husband to sign away any rights he has against a house I owned before I met him and an inheritance I am due soon. We are married just over 10 years and I had the house over 7 years before that. We are going through some problems.

It would have to be considered as part of an entire package of settlement issues in relation to Judicial Separation / Divorce.

Thank you "Thirsty". Is that the only time? Can it not be used within the marriage as a safety guard/agreement to a possible future separation/divorce?

As anyone would say to a woman in the same circumstance, he'd be an awful fool to sign away his rights

My understanding is that Agreements like that can't be legally enforced but can be taken in to consideration by a judge in a future divorce / separation case. The Judge still has to make sure that the division of assets is fair given all circumstances and the future is difficult to predict.

To use a simple example, a judge may decide that such an agreement was fair when it was signed but 10 years on , and the husband is sick, and unable to earn a living , he deserves enough of the marital assets to buy a home.

Personally I doubt it would be worth the paper it's written on.

As an aside, if you are really thinking this way, why wait? You might as well separate now.

You would have to ask the husband if he would sign such a document, it would be meaningless anyway even if he did. Ask yourself the same question if the shoe were on the other foot.. and I think you know the answer.

Back