Should i get pension for non permanent job.

roytheboyo

Situation is this:
Worked for 8 years as permanent pensionable employee.
Prior to this i worked an a fixed term 2 year contract for the same company. I did not pay pension contributions during this time.
I am now leaving the company and want to know if i can retrospectively add the 2 years to the 8 by paying the employee contribution, i.e must a company pay pension contribution for non-permanent employees.
Thanks.

must a company pay pension contribution for non-permanent employees.
I'm no expert but am not aware of any statutory requirement to that effect and would assume that it is a contractual matter between the individual and the company (or collective bargaining agreement if applicable).

I'm no expert but am not aware of any statutory requirement to that effect and would assume that it is a contractual matter between the individual and the company (or collective bargaining agreement if applicable).

There is no statutory requirement. An employer is not obliged to make any contributions to an employee's pension. So your assumption above is 100% correct.

Liam D. Ferguson

Leave of absence

On a related question, I took one year leave of absence (unpaid). Should i be able to pay contributions for this year (buy back this years service)?
Thanks

On a related question, I took one year leave of absence (unpaid). Should i be able to pay contributions for this year (buy back this years service)?
Thanks

That would be at the discretion of the pension scheme trustees, assuming it's a private sector scheme, unless they have already agreed it in contracts of employment or collective agreements.

Back