Should I ask for a promotion

micmclo

I work in a large multinational, kind of IFSC funds administration role. In the company there are job grades. You either get promoted around Christmas or you apply for an internal job to progress. I'm here three and a half years.

In 2015 I helped a team for maternity cover and created a good impression. Last month they needed a new staff member and a new girl was hired. She worked downstairs in another area and is a higher grade then me and she has the same grade as the girl who has left.

Since I had more experience the department managers did a last minute swop and asked me to join the team again. The new girl moved to my old team which is larger so it's easier to train her.

I was told this was an opportunity to rotate around and learn but I feel a little mislead.

Last year I applied for promotion on my old team, was unsuccusful and was encouraged to try again. The new girl has a higher grade and carried this my old team. If I'd known it was possible to progress I would stayed where I was! Also I am acting up for the girl who left.

Should I ask my manager what the story is? While I'm learning new things I am here three and a half years and don't want to considered a new hire all over again

Promotions are usually looked at Christmas and that's a long way off.

Last edited:
Yes apply for a promotion.

Dont present yourself as "entitled", it sounds whiny. Present yourself as good at your job.

Dont refer to yourself or your work colleagues as "girls" I presume you are all over 18. It sounds unserious.

If you've got to ask for a promotion it says a lot of where you work.

ask for a short meeting with line manager and tell manager you have 3 and half years of good work done , you want to see can you progress.
ask managers advice and let manager know that you feel you got caught a bit twix helping another team and your own prospects and that in rotation you feel you might continue to be overlooked for more senior roles.

Leper.
promotion is not just (granted) and managements are not always (wise).
To get it , a bit of a (shove) can help !

I agree with Gerry and cremeegg
Keep it short and outline the facts. Stay positive and don't mention that anything that happened as been unfair.
Focus on your career and your aspirations and your role progression in the company.

you see, sometimes your ask may be seen negatively, so personally I agree with huskerdu - try to focus on the career and develop your professional skills.

The previous three posts have the OP presenting himself as "why have you not already promoted me?" Focus on positives, professionalism, good work done, your needs etc. If this works, well and good. But, if it fails . . .?

I'll update my thread if ok. I had a meeting with my manager and sold myself as best as I could. Highlighted there are 10 people at my level on my old team and they had requested me for maternity cover in 2015 and now in 2016 they wanted me to stay permanently. My old manager even said to be selected out of 10 staff was a big compliment.

Got lots of praise, contributing immediately, learning well, taking ownership bla bla but I've to stay at my level and maybe it'll be looked at next Christmas.

I raised the employee (I don't mean anything bad by "girl" creme egg :)) I replaced joined the team at a higher level and my replacement on my old team was at a higher level and I'm happy for their success and how do I achieve the same

In the end I got no answer at all realy. Since I started I've been requested by lots of managers to join their teams and replace staff and I can learn very quickly and take ownership and solve issues. I feel I'm just a body who gets thrown into gaps and it's never appreciated.

I'm pretty much a new hire again :( On a new team and all the work I did for over 3 years is in the past.

I'm applying elsewhere, thanks for the advice.

Back