Shares pre marriage now divorcing

dodo

If someone acquired shares before married and never sold them , do these shares have to be divided equally in divorce or is it similar to pension contributions pre marriage. Tks

Neither. They are not subject to any special rules as a pension may be. They are your assets rather than assets of the marriage. The obligation to provide support is still there and unaffected by the fact of the origin of the assets.

In other words. They are your assets, not joint assets. In a divorce joint assets may be split first, but if the requirement to provide support is not met the shares can be looked at.

My understanding only

Under Irish law all assets are considered by the court in deciding on settlements.

Owning property before marriage does not remove it from the table during divorce.

Under Irish law all assets are considered by the court in deciding on settlements.

Owning property before marriage does not remove it from the table during divorce.
Correct and this even extends to a common law partner (ie you don't need to be married).

Correct and this even extends to a common law partner (ie you don't need to be married).
Update spoke with solicitor who said there is valid case that the shares are not part of settlement, then i informed solicitor that ex is due inheritance of similar amount in next few months. His Advice would be if she looks for 50% of shares then you look for 50% of her inheritance. We are not legally separated. Not living together for over 3 years.

Update spoke with solicitor who said there is valid case that the shares are not part of settlement, then i informed solicitor that ex is due inheritance of similar amount in next few months. His Advice would be if she looks for 50% of shares then you look for 50% of her inheritance. We are not legally separated. Not living together for over 3 years.
Thks for update.

there is valid case that the shares are not part of settlement,
Because they were acquired pre marriage? This seems to be at odds with what Thirsty and Horseman are saying. Is there any legal precedent or law that the solicitor can reference?

Neither are incorrect.

All assets are considered when working out a fair financial settlement .

However, every case is different .

As an example, a fair settlement for a couple with two similar incomes and pension plans is very different from a fair settlement where one has given up work for years to mind children and has no pension.

Because they were acquired pre marriage? This seems to be at odds with what Thirsty and Horseman are saying. Is there any legal precedent or law that the solicitor can reference?
I was bowing to the solicitors opinion (as I am not a solicitor I am an accountant). I did discuss this situation with my solicitor years ago and he advised that all assets were available for splitting even those acquired pre marriage/living together.

I would be surprised if the assets are excluded but obviously would stand to be corrected.

I was bowing to the solicitors opinion (as I am not a solicitor I am an accountant). I did discuss this situation with my solicitor years ago and he advised that all assets were available for splitting even those acquired pre marriage/living together.

I would be surprised if the assets are excluded but obviously would stand to be corrected.
I would be happy to go with 50% as long as her inheritance is included along with my shares. Which as it stands is similar amount. Otherwise if she took 50% of my shares and kept 100% of her inheritance, she would walk away with 120K more than me which seems not very fair. Solicitor said courts like both to be leaving with same amount or close to.

seems not very fair
None of this stuff is "fair"; particularly if you have children.

If you don't, be grateful for small mercies.

Bottom line is this, you either agree the settlement terms between you or you ask a judge to do it.

None of this stuff is "fair"; particularly if you have children.

If you don't, be grateful for small mercies.

Bottom line is this, you either agree the settlement terms between you or you ask a judge to do it.
Children are college going ages. Best is to agree and then proceed , otherwise let the Judge decide.

Back