Shannon/Dublin stop over

Marcecie

was checking out the aer lingus web site with a view to booking a trip from Shannon to Chicago in June but all flights seem to have the stopover makes journey much longer

If you're departing from Shannon to the US then how does the stopover affect you or your flying time? Surely it only affects passengers departing from Dublin? I seem to recall that not every flight from Dublin to the US (possible every second one if even that?) had to stopover at Shannon in case that's any use.

The Shannon-Chicago flight goes via Dublin. This is just an imaginative way around the stopover rule - it would appear that so long as Chicago flight takes in both SNN and DUB that it does not matter which order they land. On the other hand some of the Boston flights from Dublin go through Shannon.

The end result is that half the US bound flights stop at Shannon first and half at Dublin first.

I think that there were 2 Chicago flights last year so one went to Dublin and one to Shannon but looking at Aer Lingus website this year it seems that there is only 1 flight per day from Chicago.

Clubman,last time I flew Shannon-Chicago journey seemed never ending, from west of ireland to shannon by car takes 2.5 hours then allow 2 hours for check in, then 30 mins flight to Dublin then disembarke and go through immigration(again) another 1.5 hours - finally after approx 3o mins in air the captain announced we are over the Mayo coast-- which I had left 7 hours earlier and still had 8.5 hours flight time,-- I could go straight to Dublin airport but always seem to get lost driving out of there on return and at the moment dublin airport is getting bad press

So far I've traveled to/from the USA round trip once. Stopped at Shannon on the way home in the very early hours after an allnighter and the couple of hours there nearly killed me when, at that stage, all I wanted to do was get home, get washed and get some proper sleep.
I'm travelling to the US again later this year, this time with American Airlines Dublin to/from Chicago. Please, please, pleeeeze let there not be a stopover in Shannon, ideally in either direction.

see it's due to end sooner rather than later. Any time that I've flown to the US I've always gone via London to avoid the stopover malarky.

ClubMan said:
see it's due to end sooner rather than later. Any time that I've flown to the US I've always gone via London to avoid the stopover malarky.
Why is stopping off in London not just the same malarky in a different location?

I look out for 'non-stop' flights (which is not necessarily the same as a direct flight) from Dublin.

Back