Service charge when paying with Revolut ... is that allowed?

Ger1966

Hi all,

I ordered a takeaway over the weekend and paid with Revolut. I noticed a 50cent "Service Charge". I thought this was abolished a number of years ago? Looking at the Citizens Information page, that seems to be the case here. i.e.

"Retailers cannot charge you an extra fee or surcharge for paying by debit or credit card, either online or in shops. (There is an exception to this in limited cases where the card charge to the retailer is not capped under the Interchange Fee Regulation.)"

Does this directive not apply to revolut cards?

Thanks!

Service charges are allowed. A specific fee for paying by a personal debit of credit card is not.
Do you think this charge was specific to using Revolut as opposed to another debit card?
Did you order via a 3rd party? JustEat for example charge a service charge on all orders.

Thanks @RedOnion

I can't say I've noticed this charge before, so I don't know if it's specific to using Revolut. The food was €9.99 and then there was another 50 cent added as "Service Charge".

I might have to order anohter this evening and use a non-revolut debit card and then order again tomorrow night and use my credit card .... all in the name of research :)

I paid for parking recently where my stay using coins was €1.80. If had chosen to pay through the car park app (and been a million times more convenient) it would have been €2.20 thanks to the 40c service fee!!

It's this sort of codology that needs to be highlighted and sorted.

One of my local takeaways takes orders via their website and a dedicated app (not just eat, deliveroo, etc). Using it incurs a 40c service charge. The takeaway doesn't take cards in-store, just cash.

Saw it in Just Eat this weekend also, was using a voucher and paid the balance on Visa.

Applying a service fee puts me off.

I ordered directly from a local indian’s website recently and paid by AIB debit card, the food charge was €45, a €3 delivery charge and then a 70 cent service fee.

I would be none the wiser and a happier customer if they upped their prices slightly rather than applying a service fee.

Last edited:
Just Eat and a number of the other online services that take-aways use for order portals charge a fee. The payment goes to JustEat or whatever online service so it's not specifically a charge for using a card. If you want to avoid that charge, order over the phone.

Back