separating with adult child with autism

curious georgie

We have been living in the same house for ten years since separating, as we couldn't afford to live separately. Our autistic child has turned 18 and is very dependent on me as the main care-giver. They hardly leave the home and are terrified of losing this home, due to their condition which makes change very difficult.
We would love to stay in the house and have my ex husband move out. Are there any provisions for an adult autistic person to be allowed to stay in the home with their care-giving parent? Or does the house need to be sold for us to split? My ex is not happy to, or in a financial position to pay his share of the mortgage and pay for another place and our child is now 18 so I don't think my ex has to pay any more? Is that correct?
Currently he pays the mortgage and house insurance and I pay the bills and food and other bits from my part time wage, leaving me with nothing at all for myself at the end of each month. He works full time and his wage is higher than mine.
I can't afford it on my own currently but have just finished training and am looking for a job that might allow me to cover the full mortgage of 1,800 per month. I really want to not share a home any more. I just need to figure out the best way to do that. As soon as possible.

Does your 18 year old qualify for disability allowance? Can you use that along with your part time wage to pay the mortgage?

How much is remaining on your mortgage and what is the term remaining? Maybe you can extend the term to reduce the mortgage payments? Another option is to go interest only until you have a better paying job.

If you do manage to continue paying the mortgage and remain in the house, would your husband want you to buy him out of his half of the house? Is this something you have discussed? Essentially will you need to pay him a lump sum? And if you have responsibilities to your 18 year old to provide them with a home they wish to live in, what responsibility does your husband have to provide the same. Would he contribute a couple of hundred euro to his child per month- and could that also go to pay the mortgage.

These are all questions you and your ex need to discuss and agree on.

Back