Separated - he wants to sell the jointly owned house

pillowtalk

Hi,

Bought house in 2006 for €520 with Partner.
Split in 2015 and ex partner left the house. We have 4 Children and share custody (75% me and 25% him approx)

He was paying the full mortgage of €1400 and this was classed as maintenance which was agreed. I only worked part time for a number of years while children were in school.
Roll on to few years later and I have since went back to work full time (which is a juggle) I pay the full mortgage but he pays maintenance of €700.00 per month.

My question is what is fair? Obviously he wants the house sold and his share (although he has another house). I’m not in a position to sell it yet, also will loose tracker. But down the line this will have to be considered.

I’m now in a new relationship and my partner is considering moving in.
If in the future he was to come on board on the mortgage and buy my ex out what way does this work?

Sorry all bit all over the place so apologies if I’m confusing!

Any help or advice would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume you are not married?

The house cannot be sorted in isolation. Your solicitor who knows the full details of both your means will advise on how to approach it.

What ages are the children and where will they live if you sell the house?

If in the future he was to come on board on the mortgage and buy my ex out what way does this work?

You and X own a house.
Y can buy his share but the mortgage would have to be cleared and, presumably, refinanced by another mortgage.

I’m not in a position to sell it yet, also will loose tracker.

Don't worry too much about losing the tracker. They are no longer as valuable as they once were.

Brendan

Last edited:
@pillowtalk, there's nothing unusual about your situation. You need a solicitor to advise you. Make sure they work in family law as some of them haven't a clue about this stuff.

Back