Selling to family member CGT and Stamp Duty

Delta

We are trying to help our son get on the property ladder and we are thinking of selling an investment property we own to him. The value is around €450,000 and thought we might sell it to him for around €250,000.
I saw on one thread that if you sell to a family member they only pay 50% stamp duty.
Can anyone tell me does he have to pay stamp duty on the full amount or does he pay stamp duty on the €250,000. And of course do we have to pay CGT on the €450,000.
Would appreciate any help you can give me on this matter.

Stamp duty is always on the market value, not the actual sale price where this is less than the market price, so here stamp duty will be on €450,000. There is a relief called consanguinity relief which halves the stamp duty between close blood relatives so this would apply here.

If you have not given any gifts, and your son hasnt received an inheritance before from a parent then he will not have to pay gift tax on a gift of €200,000 though it will be taken into account in the future for any further gifts/inheritances ( the threshold is currently nearly half a million).

Finally you may be liable to CGT, depending on the purchase price and taking into account any works done on the property and the sale and gift costs and outlay and your own small gains exemption as a gift is a disposal for the purposes of CGT.

Sorry to piggyback! Knew about the stamp duty and capital gains but if I sell an investment property to my daughter AND her boyfriend, does consanguinity relief still apply? My thought is that it doesn't and the property would have to be in her name only. Is this the case?

Back