Self Transfer for international Flights

Branz

Looking at LAX Dub via Copenhagen late October 2016
On this flight, you may need to check in separately for each connecting flight.
  • You may need to collect hold bags and check them in again for the next flight.
  • You must pass through security and passport control during each connection and you will need a visa if your connection is in a country that requires one.
  • In the event of a cancellation or delay, your onward journey is guaranteed by the booking agent, not by the airline. Check the agent's policies carefully before booking.
Anyone any thoughts, it is, at c 300 euro, half the price of the next flight

Thanks

Last edited:
Watch out for difference in luggage allowance between the two legs if you are bringing back additional stuff.

Also note that if the earlier leg is delayed, you may lose out on the later flight with no rights to alternative arrangements. You'd need to be pretty conservative with connection times.

Also be careful of the liquids rule if you buy perfumes/drink on the first leg which may be prohibited on the second.

How long is the connection time and total journey time versus other more expensive journeys?
Factor in the pre-clearance for flights direct to US from Dublin and then do the sums based on your value of time?
Also arrival time in LA should be a key criteria, are you going to basically waste a day's holiday by going via CPH?

Did you try Ethiopian Airlines direct? They don't have pre-clearance but I thought they were year-round.

Ethiopian are just shy of €500 for a week end of October. Direct flight no messing around. I'd pick that if it were me.

Thanks to all, I was wrong about EI not flying beyond end Sept from LAX to Dub, I picked a Saturday on Skyscanner Doh!

As the COH Dub leg is with Ryanair, can't imagine any "accommodation" if flight is missed...
Thanks again

Back