Self Build advice

bullbars

Have started thinking about building a house recently. My mother has an 1.5 acres approx she told me I could build on so thats the site sorted, but I am unsure of the whole planning application process. I live in Kildare & the land is in Roscommon, so firstly whats the realistic chances I will get planning permission? If I do get planning permission what are the costs associated with this. I have the building costs sorted but I just want to ensure the planning process doesnt have any nasty financial surprises.

We built in Kildare ourselves over the past year, and costs we incurred from a planning perspective were:
Architect fees for drawing up the plans (approx EUR 3,000)
Fee to submit planning application & post notice in paper (EUR 65 i think plus newspaper advertisement maybe EUR 50)
County Council development fees (vary by county, and charged based on size of house, ours were almost EUR 15K for 2,600 sq ft but fairly sure they would be considerably less in Co. Roscommon)

Regarding realistic chances of getting planning, check out Co. Roscommon planning criteria and see what criteria you could apply under. In Kildare, there are just 4 main categories - things like either you live and work on the land i.e. farmer, or you are local to the area and have a housing need etc. The fact that your mother still lives there, you should be able to apply under the category of moving back to be close to family etc - but as i say you'll need to check out the Co. Roscommon planning process in detail.

Back