Securing A Washing Line Pole

windo77

Hi, I would be very grateful if someone could advise me on how to secure a washing line pole in the ground.

The product
http://www.woodiesdiy.com/product/addis-prop-line/19012/3.12.0
appears to be something that I could use.

However, I am uncertain on how to secure it in the ground. I could secure it permanently in position buy setting it in concrete. Or is this an item that I can erect when I need it and store it in a shed when I'm not using it. If so, how do I fix it in positioin in the ground? Thanks for yoru help.

Hi,

The best option with a clothes line is to secure it in concrete.

What you have shown in the link is just a prop pole for merely supporting (probably in the middle of the line) an existing clothes line. It would not take the weight of clothes/line hanging from it and there are probably no hooks to take the line itself.

I bought one of in Argos and use it for a prop line also as it definitely would not take the full weight of a long line of clothes.

Sorry I can't recommend anywhere to buy poles as finding it difficult to see anything on either Argos or Woodies. Perhaps an old-fashioned pulley fixed to the house with hook to wrap the clothes line around to secure it would be an easier option.

That pole is not designed to be secured to the ground. It acts as a "prop" in the centre of a long clothes-line. The line passes through the clip (bottom right) and the leg or legs extend to keep the washing off the ground. It looks like it might even be a two-legged support.

Last edited:
Setting in concrete is the best solution if the pole is to be left in place permanently.

If you'd like the option of removing the line, you could sink a pole socket into the ground and set that in concrete. When not in use, you could simply lift the pole out and cover the socket to prevent debris falling in and filling it over time. Then you have the issue of detaching the line and storing the pole(s) though.

It depends if you are looking to secure a rotary line or a long washing line.

Some people find that a ground screw works well for a rotary line (this could also be set in concrete) and the line can generally be removed.

I bought a set of 2 long line poles (Watson Hire - Clothes Line Pole) and like the previous poster said, concreted a slightly larger pole into the ground so that they are removable.

Quick drying post setting concrete is very useful for this job (Woodies - K-Post-Mix rapid set post concrete)

In case you might be interested in something other than a pole. I was thinking of getting a pole line for my garden too. I bought the 2 steel poles from Goodwins and brought them back. Best thing I ever got was something like a screw on coat hanger hook and screwed it into each end of the wall. I got something stronger and only cost me 5 euro.Something like this ...http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/assorted-jumbo-hat-and-coat-hook/21122/1.5.8

Back