Screw type Isolating Valves

pudds

Like below

[broken link removed]

I'm new to this type of isolating valve, and just looking for some reassurance about turning the valve on and off as there seems to be a fine line between fully off and barely on, and I'm no spring chicken anymore
disappointed.gif

Is this right.

1. The screw slot is just to turn the ball valve around.
2. No matter how much you turn it, there is nothing that can unscrew and come out.
3. It doesn't matter what way you turn it, clockwise or anti clockwise.
4. Is it every 1/4 turn or every 1/2 turn that it is in the either.... fully on or fully off positions.

thanks.

1,2,3 - Correct
4 - Every 1/4 turn is ON-OFF-ON-OFF.... usually when the screw head is in line with the pipe it is fully open.

1,2,3 - Correct
4 - Every 1/4 turn is ON-OFF-ON-OFF.... usually when the screw head is in line with the pipe it is fully open.

thanks for quick reply, so by contrast if the screw line is at every 15mins past the hour, would the valve be fully closed then.

thanks for quick reply, so by contrast if the screw line is at every 15mins past the hour, would the valve be fully closed then.
That depends which way you're stood when viewing the hose. You don't need a contrast,TTI explained it well, when the slit of the screwhead is running the same way as the pipe, it's open

I had a valve like this that was turned on/off frequently. Sometimes with a screwdriver that didn't fit too well. Anyway, the slit eventually wore into a larger slit that became difficult to use. It may have been a poor quality cheap fitting and the one you're looking at may be better. I replaced it with a valve with a plastic handle instead.

I had a valve like this that was turned on/off frequently. Sometimes with a screwdriver that didn't fit too well. Anyway, the slit eventually wore into a larger slit that became difficult to use. It may have been a poor quality cheap fitting and the one you're looking at may be better. I replaced it with a valve with a plastic handle instead.

The ones with handles are much easier to you, especially in an emergency and are not much dearer anyway. The other ones have their uses though in certain circumstances.

Back