Scratched Bumper

K

kfra06

Having recently caused a minor scrape to the corner of someones car I admitted resposibility there and then and said I'd pay for the damage myself without going through insurance.
I have checked prices for repair and they are in the region of EU100 (2/3 inch long scratch).
However the person wants to charge EU350 at a specific garage of their choice and payement made to them and not the garage..

Does anyone know the legal situation here? There is no point in going through insurance due to loss of NCB etc..

Thanks

If the shoe was on the other foot, would you want to get the repair done at the garage of your choice or their choice?

I'm not 100% sure about this but some policies have a NCB protection policy which will keep ur NCB intact if it is only for a small claim. It could be worth your while to check if this is included in your policy.

CCOVICH said:
I'd want to pay the garage and not them, that's for sure.
The injured party is entitled to compensation regardless of whether they proceed with the repair. When my car was damaged years ago, I opted not to get the repair done as I was trading in the car shortly afterwards. Better to let the garage see the minor damage and repair it themselves at cost than me paying full retail price for repair and garage assuming that there was much more serious damage.

In that case, the insurance company paid me the quoted repair cost less the VAT.

Thanks folks,

CCovich I agree with you in that I'd like to pay the garage too (so I know I'm paying for the repair and not someones weekend away!)..I've checked the prices for repair on this forum and also by talking to friends. One website quotes EU150 (www.carcraft.ie).

Rainyday, You are correct I have to admit, I probably would do the same if the shoe were on the other foot but I'd just like to know what the law is. For example, someone could go to a friends garage who could quote EU5000 for a repair that costs only EU100!?? Would I then just have to accept this and pay?

Goldman, Unfortunately I don't have that kind of policy (wish I did!) but in any case I'd like to steer clear of any claim whatsoever because when you try to get a quote with a new insurance company one of the first things they ask is whether or not you've had any previous claims, and often if you have they won't quote you at all (eliminating any chance of a lower quote).

Thanks

I hit a dog last year ( alsation ran in front of car in South Armagh) and had no chance of persuing owner. the bumber looked like a jigsaw with bits everywhere. got it taken off, welded, ( didn't know you could weld a plastic bumber) sprayed ( perfect match) and repaced for €200. just looked odd , and probably illegal, driving round with no bumber for a week. it was like looking at shane mcgowan of the pogues. €350 seem expensive but maybe they are spraying the full bumper.

Back