School Traffic Hassles

Get some stickers printed saying that this kind of parking is causing problems in the area by blocking gates and driving over flower beds and ask that this car does not park here again . Make sure that the adhesive on the stickers is very sticky.
Place the stickers on the drivers side of the windscreen.
By all means print a polite note to put under the wiper but don't stick anything on anyones windscreen. Maybe get some Garda traffic cones and line the verge and driveway for the first week school's back? Ideally you could get a local Garda to turn up some morning and give out some parking tickets.

ARAIS ARIS

This topic got a great airing last year following on the opening post by moi
and lest ye think we've had it sorted, let me just say that the skirmishes if not the war goes on.
But a little incident in the saga unfolded this week that is well worth telling, imo.

Early last week, a Co Meath registered LandRover Jeep parked on the churned up flowerbed outside my entrance gate half an hour or so before school release time.
I saw it there as I drove in and saw that the female driver was eating from a parcel propped up in front of her as I passed. A few minutes later I looked out and saw said lady emerge from the 4x4 and place something in my hedge.
She then drove off smartly just as I was contemplating a response.

I examined the item (box) she'd placed in the hedge and found chicken bones (still warm) plus chips & coke can. Got name & address of Reg Owner of Jeep next day (don't ask) and having parcelled up the bones, chips & coke can posted them off on Thursday from our local P.O. to the Jeep owner.

I put in a note explaining my action in returning the misplaced property and outlining that there is a move afoot to improve our area and that her refuse disposal arrangements ran counter to our efforts. On reflection, there may not have been a connection between the school and the Jeep.

Many will say I was daft, bizarre, etc but maybe a lot think I was damned right ?

Would there be any point in asking the school authorities if a deputation from the residents' committee could address a parent-teacher meeting in order to try and find a solution to the problem?

Do you know members of the school management committee? Lobby them collectively, in person, by letter, by phone for help in resolving the problem. They after all are the people responsible for the operation of the school.

Unfortunately, schools are not responsible for anything that happens outside their gates on public property.

Only thing that has worked is having a guard there for a few mornings .... at school's request.

This might be the approach to take .... all residents approach the school Principal/BOM and ask that the Gardaí be approached with a view to having a presence there for a few mornings ....

Other than that I can't suggest anything else.

ARAIS ARIS

and lest ye think we've had it sorted, let me just say that the skirmishes if not the war goes on.
But a little incident in the saga unfolded this week that is well worth telling, imo.

Early last week, a Co Meath registered LandRover Jeep parked on the churned up flowerbed outside my entrance gate half an hour or so before school release time.
I saw it there as I drove in and saw that the female driver was eating from a parcel propped up in front of her as I passed. A few minutes later I looked out and saw said lady emerge from the 4x4 and place something in my hedge.

I examined the item (box) she'd placed in the hedge and found chicken bones (still warm) plus chips & coke can. Got name & address of Reg Owner of Jeep next day (don't ask) and having parcelled up the bones, chips & coke can posted them off on Thursday from our local P.O. to the Jeep owner.

I put in a note explaining my action in returning the misplaced property and outlining that there is a move afoot to improve our area and that her refuse disposal arrangements ran counter to our efforts. On reflection, there may not have been a connection between the school and the Jeep.

Many will say I was daft, bizarre, etc but maybe a lot think I was damned right ?

I like it .... well done!

ARAIS ARIS

Excellent work, pity you couldnt have included a photo of said lady depositing the rubbish and told her the pic was on its way to litter warden with her name and address.

BRAVO !!!

I love it & think it's a brilliant idea. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she opens that.

I saw a teenager throw hios can one day, so I picked it up & gave it back to him, saying "I'm sure you didn't realise you dropped it"....the face on him !! I'm sure he threw it away again, but I still reckon it was worth it

Form a wheel clamping company, offer your services free to the local authority and Garda and legally get to clamp their vehicles. Give any profit you make to the local authority or Garda.

Pretty soon they will stop parking in front of your gates.

Don't know if this is legal in Ireland though? someone should know.

Form a wheel clamping company, offer your services free to the local authority and Garda and legally get to clamp their vehicles. Give any profit you make to the local authority or Garda.

Pretty soon they will stop parking in front of your gates.

Don't know if this is legal in Ireland though? someone should know.

CharlieR
Tks for advice Cha but somehow wheelclamping a motor vehicle that's blocking my gate doesn't quite bring me much relief. Sounds a bit Chaplinesque to me. Suppose he takes a couple of hours to get the penalty money, what should I do in the meantime ?
Ring Joe Duffy ?

This did give me laugh. I'd have been more inclined to send the evidence to the litter warden along with the car details. I hope you didn't expose your source for the providing the name/address from the reg number. Garda searches on the PULSE system are now logged, so if a Garda does a search, it will have been logged to that particular Garda.

I'd have thought that a persistent and multi-pronged approach will be required to address this problem. To stop the parking on the kerb, you might find that some granite rocks along the kerbside will act as a deterrent. Note that a persistent offender might just take the rocks!

You could try parking your own car on the street and clamping it, just to create a visible deterrent. If somebody does block your driveway, you could try enlisting help from a couple of neighbours with cars to block them in return, just for 'a couple of minutes' of course.

Thanks, Complainer, some good advice re the granite rocks etc. The rocks would need to be large because I used concrete blocks painted white before but these were stolen and on one occasion lined across the road in the nighttime which was dangerous to other motorists.

Re the 4x4 owner's identity, there was no Garda involvement in obtaining same either official or unofficial. I actually heard about that 'Pulse' trace business previously.
I doubt that I'll be repeating my action any time soon. It was just something different to try in regard to an ongoing problem.

And who would do the locking/unlocking ?

I don't know but when I mentioned bollards ... I was thinking of the strip outside your house. You drive in vertically to your house, people park horizontally to it ... a few bollards would make horizontal parking difficult but still allow access to your home. If this is possible they could be fixed bollards.

As a point of info is the road outside your house a through road or is it a cul-de-sac to the school?

Tks Paddy. Your suggestion would have merit in some situations but prob not in mine. It's a thro' road.
I'm thinking the granite boulders idea (Complainer) would be most effective but I'd hate to do it because of all the car doors that would be banged off them and it looks so darned unfriendly at the entrance to a residence.

Interestingly, I think there's been an increase in the school mini-buses lately.....seems to be more doubling up with groups of kids being moved together and that imo can only be good in reducing traffic congestion.
Anyone agree ?

Park somewhere else nearby. When somebody comes and parks in front of your drive go and move your car so you are blocking them and let them stew for a while.

Back