SAP consultancy

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know what sort of daily rate a Sap Consultant could earn in Dublin?

Folowing on to this question - if these rates are really true, why would anyone with these skills work in a permanent position.

Given the CPL figures; in three and a half months a contractor would earn the the yeary salary of someone in a permanent position. And I know permanent positions entail vacation, pensions, sickleave etc. but this would not add more than 25% to the base salary - and on the flip side, contractors pay less tax due to write-offs (cars, petrol, etc.).

There is a lot more to the contractor vs permanent debate than just money. A permanent staff member has the opportunity to learn the business in depth and get to know the people. He/she will also have many other, broader opportunities for development that would not be available to contract staff.

Plus any down time (not sold / holidays / sick / training) you pay for yourself, so in the end the difference is not as big as it first seems. Also, it is extremely insecure.

As someone working as an independent consultant I can vouch for unregistered comments re downtime.

Plus you have to factor in that you now have to manage all the business and tax affairs of your business and all issues that you wouldn't worry about as a permanent employee.

It also has it's benefits in that you can be flexible with when and who you work with and what type of work you want. Although, despite the claims of a return of the tiger economy you cannot be too choosey

C

Contracting Pros and cons from personal experience:

Pros
===
More money.
You pick your rate (as long as you can convince people this is what you're worth!) - you don't have a 'manager' to keep you down.
Reduced office politics. You are not perceived so much as a threat.

Cons
===
You have to deal with the Revenue. This is a major disadvantage.
There aren't any tax breaks you couldn't claim being a PAYE worker (if there are please let me know!)

I've worked in some companies where the distinction between contractor and Permanent employee is almost none existant - I've actually been on training courses etc when on a contract basis. Other companies treat contractors completely differently to their PAYE workers.

There is no way I could go back to PAYE work. I'd move country first.

Back