Wrong forum Salary Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carriedaway

Hi All, I started a new job a few months back, which involved uprooting my young family halfway across the country from where myself and my wife have lived all our lives. I took a lease on a house, put the kids into childcare etc, and was today informed that I will have a substantial paycut enforced on me from next month. I had other opportunities available to me at the time and probably wouldn't have taken the job at the new (post cut) rate. Every review of my work so far has been excellent, and the company assures me my job is safe (i.e. this isn't an attempt to push me out). Needless to say this is very upsetting and disappointing from a personal point of view, especially since many of my colleagues have not been asked to take a cut as they have foregone pay increases due to them in the past, and management feel that they have taken their share. Indeed the cut is not because of financial pressure on the company, but is an enforced show of solidarity with another arm of the company that is struggling to balance its budget and are having cuts imposed on them. I have tried to reason with management, explaining that I made enormous sacrafices to take the job given its location, but they are having none of it. I'm not in a union so contacting them is not an option.

Has anybody any advice on what my options are here, management are fairly approachable but don't seem open to rowing back on this. The job is still reasonably well paid but that is not the point IMO, I agreed a particular salary only months ago after two fairly intensive interviews, nothing much has changed in that time and I am assured that I am doing an excellent job and suddenly they want to reduce my pay? I am thinking of putting my thoughts on paper and submitting it to management but don't know what difference it will make, should I just take the hit? I know many people will say that I should be just glad to have a job but I don't think that is the point, I have worked hard to get where I am and feel hard done by, any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back