RTE reporting on Ulster-bank

michaelg

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0525/790892-ulster-bank-portfolio-sale/

Seen this on rte news earlier, Thought it was bias reporting as the news presenter said those in arrears had not been engaging with the bank.
How does he know this ? he's just repeating what the bank said.

In my own case I sent numerous resonable proposals and my loan was still sold on to a vulture, why wasn't I offered the chance to buy it at a discount ?

Inability to pay your mortgage is defined by banks as not engaging.

In my own case I sent numerous resonable proposals and my loan was still sold on to a vulture, why wasn't I offered the chance to buy it at a discount ?
With all due respect, reasonable to whom ? I'm sick of listening to this word 'Vulture fund' as soon as any debts are being sold. Debts have been sold for years and will continue to be. That is the nature of business.

Elcato , Reasonable to both the borrower and the bank.
You don't think its better to keep people in their homes ? The amount of money tax-payers have and will continue to put into banks over the last few years is sickening ,
What does a bank do in return for the favour , sell your morgage to a vulture at a heavily discounted price and NOT give you the opportunity to buy it at the same price.
Elcato do you think that inability to pay your full mortgage is the same as "not engaging" ?
With all due respect too, wake up man!

Elcato , Reasonable to both the borrower and the bank.
in your opinion.
You don't think its better to keep people in their homes ?
in certain cases yes. Not if the occupier has no chance of recovery.
The amount of money tax-payers have and will continue to put into banks over the last few years is sickening
Agreed but beside the point.
What does a bank do in return for the favour , sell your morgage to a vulture at a heavily discounted price and NOT give you the opportunity to buy it at the same price.
They would have to go through each case one by one which would be way too costly. It's called bulk buying. As I said that's business.
Elcato do you think that inability to pay your full mortgage is the same as "not engaging" ?
Nope. I never said it was but as I said it depends on the situation. Just because one person thinks they are been reasonable does not mean it is.
With all due respect too, wake up man!
Yawn.

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but if you had money to 'buy' your loan at a discount, why were you not servicing your loan normally?

This seems a sensible enough deal for UB to let someone else have the hassle of chasing underperforming loans and their own balance sheet is tidied up. Staff and resources are then dedicated to existing and future performing loans.

It's a first for RTE to be accused of bias in this direction. Normally it's the other way around, where they do very soft interviews with borrowers who claim to be engaging and they slam the banks.

Newstalk shares the same "bias"

"95% are connected to customers who are not communicating with the bank, and who's properties are on the brink of repossession

95% of the mortgages are at least two years in arrears, and the owners are not currently engaging with the bank."

Tallpaul, I wish i had money to buy my loan but i don't , i wasn't even given that option,

why continue to service your loan as best you can if the bank keeps threatening repossession, Its like a poor person throwing what little money they have down a black hole, when their house is repossessed they have no money for any security.

If the bank said if you keep paying us what you can afford, we'll come to an arrangement that would be acceptable, but they dont do that and they tell the Media/RTE that people are not engaging.

Brendan i don't believe RTE news is truly un-biased , most countries control the media to various degrees, why any different here, they like to influence public opinion .

If they we're unbiased why not interview some of the people who own these debts and ask them about what "non-engagement" means,
the reporter in the news said it was a fact that people are not engaging, my point is how does he know that 100% ? he simply dosent!
therefore isn't he being biased in his reporting ?

If you knew you were going to be kicked out of your house would you continue to pay rent ?

If you knew you were going to be kicked out of your house would you continue to pay rent ?

If that is addressed to me, it has gone over my head. What has a tenant paying rent to a landlord got to do with RTE's alleged bias?

But in case it's relevant, I would always pay my rent for the period in which I was a tenant, whether my tenancy was coming to an end or not. I presume you would as well?

Brendan

sorry should have been clearer ,
What i mean is, If your poor and were going to be kicked out of your house, would you continue to try and pay your mortgage ?

sorry should have been clearer ,
What i mean is, If your poor and were going to be kicked out of your house, would you continue to try and pay your mortgage ?

Of course I would?

If I have a debt, I will do my best to pay it.

Michael - we have seen 2500 cases before the courts. We have witnessed 150 or so orders being granted. Only one was paying anything and showed up in court. And her arrears were €85k on a mortgage of €195k so she must have been paying very little.

If UB has issued proceedings against you, continue paying a meaningful amount. They will not get an order for possession against you.

If you stop paying completely, there is some chance that they will get such an order.

The only circumstances where it might be appropriate not to pay for a short period is while you are building up the cost of applying for a PIA or building up a fund for the rental deposit. But you should be very careful about doing that. And I would probably still recommend paying something every month.

If you are paying nothing, I have no sympathy for you.

Brendan

Brendan
Lets say if i could afford to pay half the amount, wouldn't the bank keep threatening repossession ?
Are you saying i shouldn't take those threats seriously if i pay something meaningful ?

Last edited:
So strategic default?
Unless you get a deal you find agreeable and then you settle with the Bank.

Win Win for you

What if its impossible to negotiate a deal with a vulture and bank.
Say you pay what you can afford and its then sold to a vulture anyway?
I was advised that a vulture has no intention of doing deals, they want a quick profit and usually try to sell within 5 years.

What if its impossible to negotiate a deal with a vulture and bank.
Say you pay what you can afford and its then sold to a vulture anyway?
I was advised that a vulture has no intention of doing deals, they want a quick profit and usually try to sell within 5 years.

What difference does it make to you if it is sold to a vulture, as long as you are paying what you can afford? The vulture fund has as much chance of repossessing your property as Ulsterbank has. Probably even less as the courts might be less sympathetic. Storm in a tea cup?

Brendan
Lets say if i could afford to pay half the amount, wouldn't the bank keep threatening repossession ?
Are you saying i shouldn't take those threats seriously if i pay something meaningful ?

Hi Michael

If you can pay half the monthly repayment, the bank may not be happy, but there is very little that they can do about it. The County Registrar will just keep adjourning the case.

If you pay nothing, the Registrar will run out of excuses for adjourning the case, and you may lose your home.

If legal proceedings have been issued against you, keep paying something. Keep talking to the lender. Write to them confirming your conversations. Show up in court.

You would have to be very stupid or very badly advised to actually have an order granted against you.

Brendan

Back