RoadRage: Harrassed at Traffic Lights

Do you know was anyone ever convicted?
From what I've heard, the Guards aren't interested unless there's a willing witness.
I had a couple of cases that were supposed to go to Court last year, but never quite made it for admin reasons (Garda on sick leave etc), so I can't claim any convictions. To be honest, I reckon the sight of a uniformed Garda on the doorstep (particularly a Traffic Corps motorbike cop in full leathers) is fairly intimidating for the average Joe/Josephine, and is likely to result in improved driving in the future.

Have to admit to occasionally provoking aggressive drivers. I'm not a slow driver, usually around 60-65 miles/hour on the main roads (only very small km marks on my ageing car). Drives me nuts when someone comes flying up behind me on small country roads overtaking other cars where you have no business overtaking anyone and then tailgating to force me into the side. At that point I find myself varying speed gently between 50-60 miles/hr. It's not unsafe, I'm not braking at all or slowing suddenly. I don't want to cause an accident. Don't know how to make a point that someone else is driving dangerously without actually causing an accident

It's not unsafe you say? Wrong. Human nature will dictate that the drivers behind you will become frustrated and may attempt a dangerous overtake.. with possible devastating consequences. At least stick to the speed limit...don't dip below it, especially in poorer roads.

It's not unsafe you say? Wrong. Human nature will dictate that the drivers behind you will become frustrated and may attempt a dangerous overtake.. with possible devastating consequences. At least stick to the speed limit...don't dip below it, especially in poorer roads.
I agree.
Page 89 of the current ROTR:
Avoid driving too slowly

In normal road and traffic conditions, keep up with the pace of the traffic flow while obeying the speed limit. While you
must keep a safe distance away from the vehicle in front, you should not drive so slowly that your vehicle unnecessarily blocks other road users. If you drive too slowly, you risk frustrating other drivers, which could lead to dangerous overtaking.

I'd blow the horn off the car if I was cut off and get the reg of the other car if possible and give it to the gardi in a report citing reckless driving.

But you were right not to get out of your car.

Can't agree with that gebbel - I agree you shouldn't set your speed by whether someone is behind you or not but why stick to the speed limit expecially on poorer roads? You should drive to what you consider a safe speed on the road (without exceeding the limit obviously) so on poorer roads you should not stick to the speed limit as most times it is not safe to do so!

Back