Right of residence

Kellyanne

I have a question .. a relative of mine as had a right of residence on his family home for aprox 20 yrs he is now mid fifties and unmarried without children and has recently spoken of his plan to leave his share of the property to someone when he dies .. as he has lived rent free for 20+ years is he still entitled to a share on his death ?

Depends on who owns the property, a right of residency does not automatically confer title, for example I may have been left a property where my relative has a right of residency for life, my relative dies, property is still mine just now unencumbered.

Last edited:
It all depends on how the initial will was worded that gave him the right of residency. A property can be left to multiple people with one of them being given a right of residence on top of that. Was he left a share of the property, or only given right of residence? You can't pass a right of residence to someone else.

check the will of the deceased owner,(all wills are viewable) it should clarify if relative has right of residence .
take advice then .

The will is the first point of call. Often a will can give right of residence to an unmarried member of tge family and the right is forfeited in the event of marriage.
However right of residence is not a right of ownership or shared ownership

Back