Rialto -- Dublin 8 -- Safe area?

I

irenka

Hi, I'm looking at a terraced house just off the South Circular Road, near Reuben Avenue. Can anybody tell me if this is a safe area? I've heard that it can be pretty rough, but I lived near Ballymun when I was in university and despite the bad reputation we didn't have much trouble, just stolen bikes and the like. Can people walk around the area at night and feel safe? Would appreciate any advice. Many thanks! Irenka

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

There are many previous threads on Rialto, Cork Street etc. in this forum. If you run the search option you should get plenty of info.

Given that you will probably be spending a couple of year of your hard earned cash on the house, which will have to be paid paid back for the next 30 or so years, you are right to be very careful about where you buy.

I have found that areas which are nice and quiet on a lovely sunny day can become much more sinister and frightening places to be at night.

No matter where you are living at present, given the size of your investment, it should be possible for you to walk around the area of the house that you are thinking about at night. Do it on several different nights, including Fri and Sat. Are there many undesireables hanging round? Did you feel threatened? Would you be happy walking round at 1.00 or 3.00 in the morning?

Also you stated that you lived near Ballymun when you were in College. Living near Ballymun is not the same as living in Ballymun. Its one thing to walk around Glasnevin or Santry or wherever you were staying, but did you ever walk round Ballymun itself at night?

Murt

Murt

I lived there six years ago and found it a hostile place but it may have improved since then. (I live off Thomas St so that's not compared to Sandycove or something.)

Hi there,
I was looking at a house on Rueben Avenue a short while back. It was a really gorgeous house and a reasonable price too. The only thing that put me off was the few walks we took down the bottom of the street and around the corner on a weekend night & afternoon. Let's just say I didn't feel safe. But I have never lived in the area, so I may easily have got the wrong idea about the place. The actual street itself seemed friendly enough with a strong sense of community.

I would recommend having a walk around the general area and the streets adjoining Rueben Avenue at different times of the day/evening and see what you think. That should give you a good idea of what it is like. Remember too that there are lots and lots of new apartments going into the bottom of Rueben Ave beside the LUAS, so that may change that area in the future - maybe in a positive way though.

I have heard only good stories about Rialto Village especially around New Ireland Road area. It's supposed to be a great little place with nice shops and pubs and community atmosphere. Check out the previous posts on this.

I lived in Rialto a few years ago. I wouldn't make it my permanent home, though the appearance of the area has improved of late. I remember walking down Reuben street one night at 8pm, in the dark and having to turn back as a threatening group of young lads approached from the other end of the street. Soon after we left, a guy was arrested for possession of a screwdriver, on Haroldville Avenue. Not for DIY purposes I suspect. I second what Murt says. We had no other bad experiences while living in the area. We had secure car parking and did not draw attention to ourselves.

Back