Revenue Commissioners

InfoSeeker

I am currently in the midst of a career change from IT to Taxation.
I have completed 2 of the 3yrs of the AITI exams.
Does anyone know if the Revenue take on people as trainees?
I have looked in www.publicjobs.ie but cannot see anything.
Just thought it would be a good place to start as I would probably move to the other side of the fence in the future.

Used to work there myself. They have internal exams within the Inspector's Offices which are voluntary. Cannot remember what they are called and if they are still being done. However no matter what area of the Revenue you end up in, they do facilitate through Civil Service rules for exams to be taken (AITI, accountancy etc) and for refunds but it depends on if you actually end up in Revenue and not in some other department. (SLight tweaking of rules)

You might try the Dept. of Finances webiste where the give the general rules regarding leave, refunds etc.

Thanks Boris for the reply.
I checked out the Dept of Finance website but could not see any reference to careers, etc.
I am looking for whom it is I apply to if I want to get a tax trainee placement with the Revenue if they take people on at that level.
I have only one year of the AITI exams to do

InfoSeeker said:
Thanks Boris for the reply.
I checked out the Dept of Finance website but could not see any reference to careers, etc.
See http://www.finance.irlgov.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Fcareer%2Fcareer%2Easp (this link) which I found via the http://www.finance.irlgov.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/A-Zindex/default.asp&CatID=37&m=g (Site Guide -> A-Z site index).

Does anyone know if the jobs advertised on are genuine opportunities or are they fulfilling the legal requirement to advertise the positions and the job are really gone? I was under the impression that the Dept of Finance and Revenue Commissioners were good for internal promotion.

No. A certain amount of promotions have to filled the following way and in a set proportion as defined by National Pay Agreement (Modernisation etc):
  • Internally within the Department (Competitions and Seniority/Suitability)
  • Inter-Departmental Promotions
  • Open Competitions
Don't forget that on an open competition, eligible employees can apply through that mechanism, hence making it look like an internal promotion but not actually so.

I am afraid that there is definite rules in place for these competitions but the rules vary between organisations/jobs/needs.

Back