Return without receipt

D

db2admin

We bought an integrated dish washer in Power City six months ago and it has developed a fault where there is water getting into the electrics somehow and it trips the electrical switch. I cannot find the receipt and I know that when buying stuff in Power City they always say that the receipt is your guarantee. I can't find anything on the odca website in regard to this.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You will be in a better position if you can find something demonstrating that you bought the item at a specific date. A credit card receipt or statement, or a laser card receit or the relevant part of your bank statement. They should be enought to satisfy the shop that you bought it from them.
cheers,
Diziet

Did the same thing with a video I bought there. They were very good - produced my visa bill with a charge on it - they then looked up my credit card transaction ad reprinted the receipt for me for the other items i bought and replaced the faulty one. Very easy

Thanks Diziet.
Thats great Sol, we had moved house and the receipt is def. gone, searched everywhere. I should have the credit card bill or can get copy from the cc company.

if it was delivered they would definitely have your details on their comouter system so you should not need the receipt

Yeah, we got it delivered along with other appliances, so hopefully there will be on problems getting them to fix it. Having the exact date of purchase from the cc bill will make it easier for them to find on their systems.

Hi db2admin,

Under the Sales of Goods Act you are obliged as the consumer to show a "proof of purchase".

Many consumers interpret this as being a receipt only but if you have used a Credit/Debit card to make the purchase then that will suffice. Just show the the line item on the statement.

Retailers are very much aware of their obligation to consumers under this act so spelling out the above should move them to action.

By the way, if they try to fob you off on dealing with a Distributor or Manufacturer for your compliant then also remind them that as you made the purchase from them then, under the same Act, the contract of sale is with them and they are legally obliged to rectify the matter.

Hope this helps.

Back