Return to Public Sector

Macinwieny

Hi

I worked in the public sector and left in 2006, as I relocated. I left on a Grade 4 LSI 1. I would have worked since 1990 in private practices but then in 1999 joined the public service, worked as a grade 3 for a year and then moved to grade 4 where I started on point 5 of the scale. I have returned now to the public sector but back in at a Grade 3 clerical officer and was placed on point 12 of the new scale. Does anyone know if this is correct as I would have had more years and points on scale from what I gather. It seems to be a more unusual situation as I went back a grade instead of up a grade. I just want to make sure I am not losing out as obviously this will affect pension contributions too.

Plus, if I was to change jobs again to another public sector job would I then be stuck on a lower point and if I was to move up a grade would I lose out and only get moved up a to the closest salary I’m on now rather than where I was when I was originally a grade 4 LSI 1. Any advice or what to do would be welcome. I did get a letter from original PS job to state my grade etc upon leaving but maybe I should ask them for a letter to state the equivalent in years/points worked? My new employer is basing my new pay on the closest point salary wise to what I left on back in 2006 (which was just under 40k). Thanks,

If you resigned from the public service in 2006 you are treated like a new entrant so the single scheme you’re in now. Previous service doesn’t count once you’ve been out of public service for more than 28 days.

It looks like you will get two pensions totally separate from each other:

Pension 1: based on seven years service pension of 7/80 of final salary from age 65 integrated with state pension.

Pension 2: Single scheme based on career average wages also integrated with state pension. Retirement age 67 but open to correction on this.

If you resigned from the public service in 2006 you are treated like a new entrant so the single scheme you’re in now. Previous service doesn’t count once you’ve been out of public service for more than 28 days.

It looks like you will get two pensions totally separate from each other:

Pension 1: based on seven years service pension of 7/80 of final salary from age 65 integrated with state pension.

Pension 2: Single scheme based on career average wages also integrated with state pension. Retirement age 67 but open to correction on this.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I knew that I'd be on two separate pensions, thankfully the first one kicks in at 60 :). My question is more to do with what point on the scale I should be on as the previous public sector work is taken into account but I think I should be on a higher point.

What did the ad for the new job say?
The salary scale attached to this position is currently the Grade III: €27,896- €44,861, You will be placed on point 1 of this scale - €27,896 per annum. If offered the post, you may apply for incremental credit for previous industry and/or academic experience. If you wish to apply for incremental credit, please request verification of service letters (stating position,employment dates and salary from the HR department of your relevant previous employers).

The new scale is actually: 29,021 – 30,736 – 31,158 – 32,016 – 33,266 – 34,520 – 35,777 – 36,687 – 37,719 – 38,915 – 39,764 – 40,950 – 42,143 – 44,391 – 44,391 – 44,391 – LSI 45,986

Last edited:
You are getting some opinions (which may or may not be true), but @DingDing is supplying the truth. If you re-enter the public service please contact the HR unit of your new employer and ask them the questions you poised here. Then you'll have the full truth.

"Public Sector" is too broad a term as it encompasses a wide range of entities with different rules. (I was in the Civil Service in my 20s and resigned with about 8 years service. I returned in my 50s (same grade) under the New Entrants scale and pension scheme. However I did get "incremental credit for previous service" and additional leave etc The rules on this are quite straightforward for the Civil Service but don't always transfer to other Public Sector grades.

Back