Return Phone Calls

roker

I have twice had a phone call claiming they're returning my call when clearly I have never phoned them in the first place .
Has anyone experienced this

@roker - YES... I received multiple "call backs" on a day last week, from different people claiming I rang their number. Obviously I hadn't.

I asked them what time these calls were made to them etc - all within the previous 4 hours. The people who rang seemed legit (didn't try to sell me anything / tell me my bank account was hacked or asked me to "press 1 to continue" :) ). It was only over the afternoon I got the call backs - nothing since that day

I contacted my mobile service operator & they said ignore it and they can change my phone number if I wanted it changed.

Phone number spoofing is simple and rife.
That might explain such calls and callbacks.

What types of scam calls and scam texts are common?

The most common types of scam calls and scam texts currently being experienced by consumers in Ireland appear to be:

• Calling Line Identification Spoofing (“CLI”) – when the number calling you, as displayed on your screen, has been faked by a scammer and appears to be a call from a genuine number.

Reactions: Leo
What’s the angle though? What’s in it for the ‘spoofer’?
My understanding is that they call from another country and a lot of people won't answer a call from a random foreign number so they pretend that it's someone calling from an Irish number.

What’s the angle though? What’s in it for the ‘spoofer’?
The original call using your spoofed number was probably intended to extract money from the other party. The returned call from them to you is just collateral damage.

Back