Restaurant owners standing at the entrance trying to entice you in !!

Adecco

I must say this one really annoys me - it mainly happens when on holidays in Spain or wherever to be fair. But I've recently moved overseas and they do it here also.

Basically - you approach a restaurant to look at the menu. And there is someone at the entrance of the restaurant standing right over you making you feel under pressure (inevitably they tend to read the menu to you....what's that about?)

I find it the most annoying irritating things and I always run for the hills when I see someone outside a restaurant.

I'd love to know is there anyone here from the restaurant business that can confirm whether this strategy does/does not work?

I can only speak for me and my family but it does the complete opposite for us. I feel myself getting tense when approached when all I want to do is to peruse the menu in my own time and decide myself. They certainly lose business from me anyway.

Do restaurant owners have some stats to back up these actions? Or is it only because they think it should increase business?

On holiday last summer, this behaviour drove my sister cracked. :)

But I didn't care one way or the other. I just ignored them.

Marion

1. Restaurant workers in Spain are not entitled to try to coax anybody into their restaurants other than standing still and smiling next to their board advertising meals. If you ask for the Complaints Book it must be provided. You can enter a complaint and the police examine the book every few days. It is at least fifteen years since any restaurant worker asked me to enter their premises.
2. On Kos, restaurant workers can welcome you and even show your their blackboard menus - nothing more. They are heavily fined or closed down for repeat offences towards passing people. I hear this is the case in all Greek Islands now.
3. Turkey. They all but pull you into their restaurant. Make it to your advantage "Why should I eat here and not next door?" Your desserts will probably be offered free.
4. France - They couldn't give a whit if you eat in their restaurant or not. How could you not see this is the best restaurant in the world?
5. Belgium - their faces alone would keep you away from the restaurant.
6. Italy - The colour of their food alone entices you to enter.
7. Germany - Here's a happy medium on how you should be greeted - smile and positive body language only with pristine clean restaurants.
8. Ireland - The price alone says "Begone, you primitive bacon & cabbage cretin" and How dare you avail of the Early Bird and you must vacate by 8.00pm. "And don't bother puttin' a review up on Tripadvisor."

We had a bad experience once in Portugal and asked for the complaints book. No way would they give it to us. They were perfectly happy for us to not to pay, but no way could we write a complaint. Great system.

Dunnes Stores used say that they didnt have a complaints department because no one complained!

Back