Replacing doors and skirting

martha

Hi,

We bought an oldish house and we are renovating it. We have taken down all the doors and skirting boards and architraves.
I need to pick replacements but I'm so confused. The builder is suggesting an oak door but I don't like the wood look, I want it to be white. However I don't want to have to paint it again ever. Same for the skirting boards, I don't want to have to paint them.
Some of the white doors I've looked at are very cheap looking. I'd like them to be solid wood, just not wooden colour.
Does such a thing exist and what do I ask for when I go onto the hardware shop. I'm so confused!
Thanks for any help

Hi,

We bought an oldish house and we are renovating it. We have taken down all the doors and skirting boards and architraves.
I need to pick replacements but I'm so confused. The builder is suggesting an oak door but I don't like the wood look, I want it to be white. However I don't want to have to paint it again ever. Same for the skirting boards, I don't want to have to paint them.
Some of the white doors I've looked at are very cheap looking. I'd like them to be solid wood, just not wooden colour.
Does such a thing exist and what do I ask for when I go onto the hardware shop. I'm so confused!
Thanks for any help
hi there its a matter of choice , yes you paint oak doors but it would be a shame to paint over hardwood, I hung solid red deal doors (or pine) in my house and got in a painter to paint them and they are perfect, so why not get pine skirting,alcertrave and pine doors they are perfect to paint, a good painter will be able to advise you

You will have to repaint white ever so often, a lot of white paints yellow over time and even if you get one that doesn't and I haven't found one yet, have a tin of Colortrend here to try next, they will get dirty and marked and you will have to repaint them unless you are happy to live with them when they get tatty looking.

You will have to repaint white ever so often, a lot of white paints yellow over time and even if you get one that doesn't and I haven't found one yet, have a tin of Colortrend here to try next, they will get dirty and marked and you will have to repaint them unless you are happy to live with them when they get tatty looking.

That is true, however white interior doors are much nicer and pleasing to the eye than plain old pine.

Oh I know, I have all white woodwork, I love it but it does need repainting, the OP was looking for some magic white doors and skirting that will never again need painting, I'd like some of them too :)

I find that satinwood paint doesnt yellow as fast as gloss. I have some woodwork painted in white satinwood for about 3 years now, still perfect.

Thanks. Would a"primed" white door/skirting need repainting?
I painted pine doors before and I love the look but hate the way they go yellow looking.

Would a"primed" white door/skirting need repainting?

Yes, primed just means it has had an undercoat and is ready to be painted.

Doors might be harder get, but you can get vinyl wrapped skirting and architraves that won't ever need to be painted, much like what you get on kitchen cabinet doors.

Thanks Leo. Yes that's what I'm looking for. Skirting boards that would be the same as kitchen cabinet doors. I wil ask the builder about them. Thanks.

Back