Health Insurance Renewal or Cancel Health Insurance.

Zaraa1

Hi,

We are a family of 4. Both in late 30’s and children ages 5 & 7. We are currently with VHI and both on one plan 500 (€715 each) and children on One plan family (€145).

Is there any other plans that would be better value. We are in Galway and Hi tech hospitals not important.

All very fit and healthy and am really considering reducing down or cancelling our insurance altogether as I am finding it more difficult to justify the costs every month.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shellzey,

The cheapest private hospital plan at the moment is Laya Precision 600 Connect; price 655 per adult.
This plan would only cover Bons Secours Galway and NOT Galway Clinic, plus all the public hospitals.
The savings would not be that great and a private hospital admission would incur an excess fee of 600 per admission.
[broken link removed]

An alternative option to consider just for the adults, is Glohealth Kick Off Plan; price 510 per adult.
This plan only covers public hospitals but it has a unique feature, the first plan of its type, whereby you can upgrade to a private hospital plan
(Glohealth Kick Off Upgrade Plan price 950) at any time, outside renewal date if you need surgery in a private hospital with no upgrade waiting time to be served.
This upgrade waiting time is normally 2 years so its a very good option to consider.
In other words, you only upgrade to the private hospital plan if you need surgery. Otherwise, you can make good savings which you are
trying to achieve.
[broken link removed]

For the 2 children, I would leave them with VHI but switch to One+Plan price 137 per child.
VHI allow children to be insured on their own, an adult is just named on the policy but only the children are insured.
The half price offer for children is upto 31 October 2016.
[broken link removed]

So overall price as follows;
2 x adults Kick Off Plan (2 x 510) = 1020;
2 children One+Plan (2 x 137) = 274;
Total family price 1294;
Savings achieved; 426;

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb, if someone moves from Glo and the kick off to an alternative company and wants to go to private hospital cover would they then have to serve waiting periods?

peteb,

Yes, there would be a 2 year upgrade waiting time to serve.
Kick Off plan is a basic public hospital cover plan with a unique feature which allows you to upgrade to a private hospital plan for immediate surgery
with no 2 year upgrade waiting time. You notify Glohealth 2 weeks before surgery date.

There is no other plan on the market like it, with this facility. So, in effect you are still on a basic plan and only upgrade to the private hospital plan
if surgery is required in a private hospital. You pay the basic price unless you need to upgrade.

Snowyb

hi snowyb,

Kick off plan is a very interesting plan from glohealth.
I am thinking of moving to it myself but i have a couple of questions:

1) the waiting period is putting me off as i am currently on private hospital cover.
While i am on the plan, what if i go for surgery in private hospital and upgrade the plan and then i change to a VHI/LAYA/GLOHEALTH private hospital plan the following year - do i need to wait two years from the time that i upgraded the Kick off plan?

2) do i need to upgrade each time i need a surgery in private hospital?

thanks
rusty

Last edited:
rustyjack,

I think you would need to confirm this answer with Glohealth. Kick Off plan is a fairly new plan, launched since December 2015, the first of its
type on the market. So the finer details, such as your query would really need to be clarified by Glohealth.
I have no personal experience of this plan which allows a person to stay on a basic priced plan, 510pa, and only to upgrade to a private plan
if surgery is required in a private hospital. You only upgrade 2 weeks before your date for surgery.

Snowyb

thanks snowyb,

i just rang glohealth.

They said the following which answers both my questions:

If I need to upgrade to private hospital cover during the year, I pay for a new 12 month contract with a new start date which is the kick off upgrade at 950euros per year. The "catch" is that I dont get any partial credit for the 510 euros I have already paid for the basic plan.
There are no waiting periods if i change provider after this 12 month period as i am deemed to have private hospital cover again.

it still looks a very attractive option to me.

thanks
rusty

Snowyb, if someone moves from Glo and the kick off to an alternative company and wants to go to private hospital cover would they then have to serve waiting periods?
Yes, there would be a 2 year upgrade waiting time to serve.
But if you go the route Kick Off -> Kick Off Upgrade -> alternative provider, would there still be a waiting time?

michael,

i rang glohealth and they confirmed that there is no waiting time if you go the route you suggest.

rustyjack

Back