Health Insurance Renew Health Insurance for Seriously Ill Person in Public System

Hurling Fan

Hi All

Hoping someone can offer me some advice. An elderly relative of mine had a very serious stroke last summer. He has had private health insurance all his life but for whatever reason when he had the stroke he ended up in the public system and has never used his private insurance. He is still in hospital but will be coming home soon to be cared for there. His private health insurance is now due for renewal and we're wondering if it is worth renewing it? Thanks

Hurling Fan,

Does he have a full medical card?
Also, what health insurance plan is he on at the moment and when is his renewal date?

Snowyb

Hi Snowyb

Yes he has a full medical card. He is 79 years of age.

The plan he is on is Glo Health Better Saver Plus for €1,048. The renewal date was 16 June but they have 14 days cooling off period.

I suppose really his wife feels that the care they are receiving in the HSE public system is excellent and doesn't seem to be any delays getting scans etc. However, maybe this will this change when he moves home. He has had health insurance all his life and wants to be very sure that it is the right thing to do before he cancels.

Thanks Snowby

This is a difficult one to call. My own inclination would be to hold onto it in some shape or form. After having a serious stroke, I wouldn't be thinking of cancelling. However, instead of completely cancelling I would consider opting for a better priced plan, not necessarily compromising on hospital cover, but with better outpatient cover.

Most of his medical care, at home, will be community based through gp, local district nurse, occupational therapist, physiotherapy etc etc which is covered by the medical card.

Health insurance would be an extra back up support, to fall back on in case of any extra physiotherapy, or any medical procedures, scans etc as an extra option if waiting times increased.
Laya Healthcare are best for lower priced plans, including outpatient cover.

1. Flex 250 Plus; price 846.
2. Flex 500 Plus; price 706.

[broken link removed]

On a personal level, I know of a case where a person, similar age, cancelled health insurance, never used it.
The following year, took a serious stroke and similarly to this case, got excellent care in the public system.
Not having health insurance had no effect on treatment etc.
Personally, I wouldn't do it or encourage it but ultimately it's their own decision.

Hope this helps.
Snowyb

This is a difficult one to call. My own inclination would be to hold onto it in some shape or form. After having a serious stroke, I wouldn't be thinking of cancelling. However, instead of completely cancelling I would consider opting for a better priced plan, not necessarily compromising on hospital cover, but with better outpatient cover.

Most of his medical care, at home, will be community based through gp, local district nurse, occupational therapist, physiotherapy etc etc which is covered by the medical card.

Health insurance would be an extra back up support, to fall back on in case of any extra physiotherapy, or any medical procedures, scans etc as an extra option if waiting times increased.

[broken link removed]

On a personal level, I know of a case where a person, similar age, cancelled health insurance, never used it.
The following year, took a serious stroke and similarly to this case, got excellent care in the public system.
Personally, I wouldn't do it or encourage it but ultimately it's their own decision.

Hope this helps.
Snowyb

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps.
Snowyb

From previous experience I agree with Snowy B and would not cancel his health insurance unless he couldn't afford it. Whilst your relative may currently have a medical card, can you be sure he will continue to retain his card?. I cancelled my dads insurance which he had for over fifty years about three years ago. He too had a medical card and is in nursing home care under the Fair Deal Scheme. He is 85 now and I do worry what will happen if he loses his medical card which he initially received when all the over 70s got them. Three years ago it never occurred to me that medical cards given to over seventies without a means test could be revoked. So whilst your relative may well receive excellent care in the public system if you fail to renew the insurance the waiting period for existing conditions will really mean he will have lost it forever.

F Three years ago it never occurred to me that medical cards given to over seventies without a means test could be revoked.

Who said they could be revoked? They may reintroduce the means-test for new applicants sometime in the future but I can't see them touching the medical cards for existing recipients.

The means-test for the over 70s card has been changed several times since being introduced.

Ar first, income allowed up to 700 / 1400 pw.

Then cut to 600 / 1200 pw

Now it's 500 / 900 pw.

So people over 70 can lose med cards as the income limits fall.

Thank you so much everyone for replying. Your opinions are very helpful.

Snowby presume those Laya Healthcare Flex plans would be good for his wife too - she is also 79 but in very good health - would probably be easier for them to be on the same plan.

This is probably a stupid question but do you think there will be a problem when moving to Laya and mentioning his stroke as Glohealth are completely unaware of it - presume they won't not consider it an existing condition.

thanks

There will be no problem moving to Laya with any pre-existing conditions, as all their waiting times are well served and cover is similar to Glohealth.

The Flex plans are also suitable for his wife.
A similar plan to her glohealth plan, with a €50 day case excess is called 'Laya Simply Connect' price 999.
[broken link removed]

They don't have to choose the same plan. Whatever suits.

Regards, Snowyb

Back