Removal of Aggressive Tenant

Move into the house. You have rented one room to the tenant, not the house. You can enter and leave as often as you like once you are back in the main house. Lock all the other bedrooms.

Its not technically a Rent a Room as the owner and the tenants do not share an entrance (AFAIK)

Many are going to find this out in years to come (IMHO)

Move into the house. You have rented one room to the tenant, not the house. You can enter and leave as often as you like once you are back in the main house. Lock all the other bedrooms.
But the house was rented as a single unit (or even if leases for separate rooms) therefore the house still has exclusive use to any tenant living therein. As Bronte has indicated in her post above, any entry by the landlord would be a breach of the tenant/s rights to exclusive and peaceful use of the property.

That's correct facetious and every action of the landlord will go against him in a higher figure to be paid if this goes to the PRTB. he has to look as if all his actions are reasonable and has to demonstrate the tenant in a negative light.

Its not technically a Rent a Room as the owner and the tenants do not share an entrance (AFAIK)

Many are going to find this out in years to come (IMHO)

There's also another potential issue here unless the OP has planning permission that allows the cabin to be occupied as a separate dwelling. It would be very rare for such planning to be granted.

Very astute Leo. There is no planning permission. How do you think this might effect things?

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the ins and out of tenancy disputes to say if it will have any real impact, but it might raise flags if the PRTB become aware you've been illegally living on site of a house that's rented out.

You need to pay someone to remove this guy from the house after the date if you don`t want to remove him , change the locks and take back your property....pack up his items, enough is enough.

Two months ahead of schedule, well done!

Was that a bonus you negotiated with him or a penalty from the PRTB for evicting him?

Would have gone all the way to a PRTB Dispute, appeals, courts, sheriff and 3 empty rooms. I guess about a year ahead of the real schedule. Seems like you have not read all the posts G7979.

Sad thing that this is a reasonable amount, right?

I don't know about reasonable but realistic I would say.

I think that the OP probably conducted his business as well as he could have under the circumstances. I would have waited until the notice expired but that may have worked out a lot worse, at least now the OP has his property back at a painful but realistic price.

Being honest, I would have gone to 15K. The whole procedure to achieve eviction could have been 18 months. The Landlord / Tenant landscape is completely unbalanced. The regulations are totally biased towards the tenant. The result will be many Landlords deciding it just isn't worth it and leaving the market. Therefore fewer rentals available in Ireland. Exactly the opposite of what the Government has intended.

Wow, I know you had your reasons to pay out so much, but the other 3 tenants, were they to be of the same bad minded individuals as the last guy, must be kicking themselves they didn't hang on, to also make a mint off you.
Any bad tenant seeing above, would knows now, if not before, how easy it is to extract money from the Landlord, a title I actually hate as it give the impression of superiority.

What is I wonder is the PRTB`s` opinion on your decision to solve the situation you were put into by the tenant. I would assume they can happily file it away as "solved" and take credit for it.
It is to me, like having a police force, but, solving your own crimes, due to the fact their is no confidence in the organisation, as it seems very one sided.. Crazy!! And they get paid for this level of unfairness.

Sorry Mark
I did read all the posts, but perhaps I wasnt clear.

He wasnt due to leave until Jul 15 so thats what I meant by 2 months ahead of schedule, the PRTB route for an eviction means you would have been still waiting for him to leave this time next year most likely!

I simply meant did you offer him 10K to go knowing that is what the likely outcome would be if you illegally evicted him based on the other posts, or did you go through with the illegal eviction as you were suggesting and has the PRTB already heard his complaint and awarded against you.

I was more curious on their speed of hearing the case of an aggrieved tenant, can you give us a timeline on that, from when you evicted him to receiving a communication from the PRTB, how long did it take them to hear the case? Less than a month has passed since you last posted.

Let me get this right....have you handed this person €10k to vacate your house?????

SCHEDULE

FEB 03RD 2016 – ISSUE 168 DAY NOTICE

JUL 22ND 2016 – TENANT OVERHOLDS (ALREADY MADE IT CLEAR THAT THIS IS HIS INTENTION)

JUL 23RD 2016 – SUBMIT DISPUTE

NOV 22ND 2016 – HEARING (ESTIMATED DATE)

DEC 12TH 2016 – HEARING RESULT (ESTIMATED DATE)

JAN 12TH 2017 – APPEAL SUBMITTED (ESTIMATED DATE)

FEB 12TH 2017 – APPEAL HEARD (ESTIMATED DATE)

FEB 28TH 2017 – APPEAL RESULT (ESTIMATED DATE)

APRIL 15TH 2017 – CIRCUIT COURT HEARING (ESTIMATED DATE)

MAY 03RD 2017 – SHERRIFF IMPLEMENTS EVICTION (ESTIMATED DATE)

15 MONTHS TO EVICT TENANT – 12 MONTHS FOR NEWER TENANT – CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATES!!

The real truth of those dates is that the vast majority of it is a waste of time with the PRTB. If that was cut out and you could just go straight to court, as it was before the PRTB, it wouldn't be so bad.

I wonder how many landlords ever got back rent when they got an eviction order from the PRTB. I suspect not one.

Also the PRTB is funded by landlords, BUT they will not go to court in cases like Marks, AND conversely if Mark had illegally evicted they will go to court with him for the tenant.

The reason is the PRTB knows a tenant will never pay.

Back