Removal company recommendations in Dublin

Dreamerb

I'm about to move house, and am currently seeking quotes from a number of removal companies for full packing and removal service. Quotes are coming in at around the same levels, so I'm hoping for any tips - whether recommendations or "Stay away" warnings! It's a pretty straightforward move - within Dublin, no horrendously complicated or valuable items.

I've got indicative prices from Allen removals; Cronins ("The Art of Moving"!); and A Adams.

Anyone have good / bad / indifferent experiences with any of these, or have any alternative recommendations?

We last moved in 2005 and used Allen Removals. Two items, one furniture, the other a ceramic container, were damaged in the move. The major item- the furniture- they disputed even though their attention was drawn to it on the spot. The second was a container that was shattered in many pieces so they didn't dispute that. When we sought recompense for the damage they proposed a repair solution to the furniture which we found unacceptable- but they simply waved the small print we'd signed at us. The second item was never dealt with.
Overall, once we had an issue with them we found them to be deliberately slow and unhelpful to deal with. Things will get broken (especially if you use their packing service- the ceramic they'd put loose and unwrapped in a box with heavy objects- something we would never have done ourselves) and you will sign away your rights to a replacement versus their offered repair. But the manner in which they dealt with the grievance was not good enough- we won't use Allen again.

Hello.

We used JC Removals, who are actually based in Offaly or somewhere like that. They moved us from Caskleknock to Kildare, very reasonable, very pleasant and with an offer of a cuppa, they'd oblige you to do anything.

We received quotes from Allen et al for circa 900€, JC removals did it for €440.

Couldn't recommend highly enough.

Thanks for that sueellen. I had checked the key posts and hadn't got quite as much as I hoped for, but didn't think to do a proper search (sorry!).

Also used Allen Removals and are not happy with service... When quoting for the job, I was told that leather couches would be wrapped in special moving bag - never happened, hence scuffs... mattress was supposed to be wrapped in plastic - never happened, hence dirty mattress. Glass tops of tables chipped.... some other items damages (electrical items not covered by insurance. Some items went missing still awaiting closure on this but have been told by member of staff "that it is funny, how all the rest of my stuff arrived" basically being accused of lying.

I would not recommend Allen Removals to anyone

Just moved house. Used Careline. Found them very professional & good.

Used Cronin's to move stuff to Ireland, maybe a bit more expensive, but everything arrived in one piece without a scratch. Very helpful personnel, would recommend them.

Further to my post about Allens, eventually got re-imbursed for missing items, it was only a small sum €50, but it was more the fact that I had tipped the movers on the day.

Was informed yesterday that they would drop money in, but were not claiming liability, so in other words I am still being accused of being a liar. I had paid for insurance, but you only have 7 days to inform the company, and as we were only storing the majority of our goods we did not notice may defects until too late.

Allens seemed very professional in the begininning but proved to be far from.

I would not recommend Allens under any circumstances

In 2005 I moved from Dublin to Ballina Co Mayo.

I used Bray Removals. They were brilliant. They moved all my stuff and stored it in their vans on the Friday and on Monday morning they arrived at my house in Ballina at 9.30am on the dot. Nothing broken, no problems at all. I would recommend them.

I got a quote from Allen Removals but they were too expensive.

I've just got a very good quote from Moving Ireland (Straffan). Has anyone ever used them / heard reports of their service?

Could you do it yourself?....We rented a van from Europa for 80quid and did it with the help of some friends who were paid with beers later on (thirsty work).

I used Careline to move from Leixlip to Drogheda a few years ago. I found them very professional and not terribly expensive for what was a long day to move a full 3-bed houseload of stuff (the lads arrived by 8am in Leixlip, and carried in the last item at 8.30pm that night!).

I've also gone the DIY route in the past, and all I'll say is - the removal companies are worth every penny!

I've just got a very good quote from Moving Ireland (Straffan). Has anyone ever used them / heard reports of their service?
I've also had a very good quote and am wondering if anyone has used them.

How much should I expect to pay for moving the contents of a 2 bed house (850 sq feet) from Dublin city center to the southside?

Do companies just give you a quote over the phone or do they come out to have a look at your stuff.

This is an interesting thread as we're currently selling our house & will probably have to rent somewhere short-term until our new house is ready next summer. There is no way on hells earth that I would self-move... shifting everything for a total house repaint last year nearly killed us, so I'll pay the professionals to do it for me!!!

Moved house about 15 years ago.
Got 2 quotes - one from CIE and one from Allens.
The Allens quote was 75% of the CIE one.
However I went for CIE for reliability.
On the day of removal, I opened the door to find Allens on the doorstep.
CIE had subcontracted the work to Allens!!!

Needless to say I contacted CIE and eventually after weeks negotiating, they agreed to refund the difference.

Interested to read the comments on Allens, exactly how I found them too, no furniture of ours was 'blanket wrapped' as they call it or indeed protected in anyway, the broke a fair few things just out of sheer carelessness, I wrote a letter to the MD/Owner but never even got a courtesy reply. Also they misjudged the amount of stuff we had, so much so that they didn't have enough room in their truck for our garden or shed items, we had to transport these ourselves! Wouldn't recommend them or use them again.

How much should I expect to pay for moving the contents of a 2 bed house (850 sq feet) from Dublin city center to the southside?

Do companies just give you a quote over the phone or do they come out to have a look at your stuff.

I was visited by the Careline rep before I received a quote for the removal work. As an example of cost, I paid €1000 (+ €100 additional insurance fee - optional) to move all contents of a 3-bed semi from Leixlip to Drogheda (30 miles or so) in 2005.

Back