Remortgaging and joint names

Society

ABout to remortgage but house in my sole name on mortgage and deeds as bought by me before marriage. Will the new bank insist on a joint mortgage and joint names on the legal deeds. The mortgage protection is in my name only. Is it preferable that me and my husband (both working) be on both the new deeds and mortgage - what does anyone think?

Practically all banks will insist on the family home mortgage being in joint names so probably not a choice you will have, you will just have to either take out a new joint mortgage protection policy or a separate one for your husband.

Not so, my mother remortgaged with PTSB and property only in her name. My dad had however previously signed a declaration giving up his right to family home.

Did the remortgaging bank base their calculations on your husbands salary?

Does he contribute to the mortgage?

In ANY way?

That is pretty uncommon though, a spouse giving up their right to the family home, not the standard case you have to admit!

In my own case I actually got a mortgage and deeds in sole name while married and living with spouse but again had to get declaration etc, not a simple route, legal costs for both parties and definitely not the norm, I had my reasons, needless to say I live in the house on my own :)

Back