Registered Post with An Post

Card

Sent some important original documentation by registered post on Monday. Rang on Tuesday to check its status, no information available was told to ring back on Wednesday. Rang yesterday and was told that it had left the last office to be delivered and to ring back later that day for confirmation of delivery. I did so but no confirmation available. i rang back today and was told to contact the sorting office of the last post office, after holding for almost ten mins got through to someone who informed me, oh the guy that delivered that won't be back until tomorrow so he won't confirm delivery until tomorrow! so i have to spend more time tomorrow ringing waiting for confirmation that the letter has been delivered.
Is the services always this bad?
I'm used to dealing with UPS and their online tracking system, which I have found brilliant, one time it alerted me to the fact that a package I was waiting on had been delivered to my office before reception had rung me to inform me of same!

I'm just wondering whether my experience with registered post was a once off or would I be better just using normal mail?

Card said:
would I be better just using normal mail?
Unless you really need the insurance/proof of receipt, then yes. Registering an item invariably adds at least a day to the delivery time, and sometimes more - as you've seen...! :mad:

Card said:
I'm just wondering whether my experience with registered post was a once off or would I be better just using normal mail?

It's happened to me this way as well in the past. I suppose we expect a better service (or quicker) just because it's registered, but I suppose they need to go slower and more carefully when it's registered to make sure it's all okay.

An Post's online tracking system is worse than useless I'm afraid to say. I regularly send packages that need to be insured for several hundred euro and a tracking number. The tracking details provided by An Post are always hopelessly out of date and usually non-existant once a package leaves Ireland. In fact several packages that I know have been delivered are still in Sandyford according to An Post.

DHL's tracking is usually updated within minutes. You get what you pay for I suppose!

Back