Refused an AIB NE mortgage

EmDilemma

Hi Brendan,

Can I ask you for more advice here. We applied for a negative equity mortgage with AIB on the assumption that the central bank deposit rules did not apply to people in our situation.

We have totted up all our savings and it turns out we actually have 60,000 in savings between our various accounts. We will be carrying forward approx 70,000 of negative equity. We sought an overall mortgage (including the negative equity) of 415,000.

After indicating that the numbers might add up, we did as AIB asked and had a property vaulation carried out.

AIB's mortgage unit then processed the application and rejected it. The mortgage advisor said the very most we could hope to draw down on a new property (before negative equity) would be well below 300,000 euro.

AIB say if we want mortgage approval up to 415 grand (which includes the negative equity), we need to have well upwards of an 80,000 euro deposit. They also estimate that various fees and stamp duty would amount to around 15,000 euro and they are factoring this into the calculation.

If they had accepted our 60,000 euro deposit and we had purchased a property worth 400,000 - the loan to value of 175% that exists on our current property would become 97% on the new property.

AIB's mortgage advisor also tells us that the Central Bank deposit rules DO apply to us and we would require a 20% deposit on the new home. We met the loan-to-income requirements.

They also claim we would incur a breakage fee on a 2 year fixed rate that is due to elapse later this year.

I doubt this is going anywhere and we are likely to be forced out into the rental market - becoming reluctant landlords who have to top up their mortgage and then pay tax on that. Saving a despoit in this scenario becomes impossible.

Is this right what they are saying to us?

Last edited by a moderator:
They also claim we would incur a breakage fee on a 2 year fixed rate that is due to elapse later this year.

I am not sure why anyone needs to "claim" this. It's either factual or not. If your fixed rate expires later this year, then you could wait until then to move. The closer you get to the expiry date, the lower your breakage fee.

They also estimate that various fees and stamp duty would amount to around 15,000 euro and they are factoring this into the calculation.

Stamp duty is 1%. So €4k. Legal fees for buying and selling would be around €3k. Auctioneers fees for selling would be €3k . So a total of €10k. Given the other costs of moving €15k is not wide of the mark

AIB's mortgage advisor also tells us that the Central Bank deposit rules DO apply to us and we would require a 20% deposit on the new home.

I don't understand this and will start a separate thread.

AIB says that the Central Bank deposit rules do apply to us, even though we are in negative equity

Last edited:
Current position:

upload_2016-5-27_9-55-9.png

Would like to buy a house for €500k

Salaries: €110k

To buy a house for €400k:

upload_2016-5-27_9-55-41.png

You need €40k deposit and €15k cost of moving which is €65k, so it seems to me that you qualify on the LTV grounds.

But you fail on the Loan to Income which is a max of 3.5 times.

Back