Refurbish a house that will be rented out - where to start?

done4now

My father owns a house in a good location in a small town (pop ~5k) that has been unoccupied for ~15 years and I'm looking to take advantage of the vacant homes grant to get the house back working. While I have my own ideas on what needs to be done to get it let out I'd also like to know is there other things that should get done first.

Should I get in contact with an Engineer/Quantity Surveyor/Architect to get a survey done of the house before starting anything? Or should I go straight in contact with a general contractor with my own ideas?

I am thinking of doing the standard things of doing a rewire, replumb, remodel both bathrooms and kitchen. Then there are something I've noticed like raising damp on two walls and other more cosmetic things like adding a skylight in the upstairs bathroom etc.

I recently discovered the property shares it's water supply and foul sewer with two other properties (all built at the same time) so I'm wondering is there anything else I don't know about like does the roof need to be replaced etc. If I'm replacing the heating system should I replace it like for like or go for gas etc.

Where should I start?

You could get a contractor in too do the whole house or you could get individual trades in as you need them.it kind of comes down too your budget.
Things like the raising dampness needs special attention.

There's almost always an external cause of damp.

Roof, gutters, drains are the big culprits.

Be careful of over capitalising on fixtures & fittings.

But do spend money on structure, wiring, robust boiler. And get the boiler serviced every year.

Almost everything has to be replaced over time in a rental property.

Carpets are easier to refit than tiles; free standing wardrobes rather than built ins etc.

If you can invest the time, you'll find plenty of second hand solid wood furniture, which can be cleaned, sanded & spray painted & it will survive better than most flat pack stuff.

I could do individual trades at a time but two for two reasons I don't think I will one I'm 3.5 hours drive away from the house and secondly I'll have to provide a contractors details when applying for a grant [1] so not sure how that would work with a few different trades. Also safe to say there will be no cash price for any of the work that will be claimed.

Agreed about when it comes time to fit out the house fixtures & fittings I'll be trying to get second hand but I'm far away from that at this point.

Do you think it would be worth my while getting a survey done via an Engineer/Quantity Surveyor/Architect or should I just go straight to a general building contractor?

[1] - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...supports/vacant-property-refurbishment-grant/

My father owns a house in a good location in a small town (pop ~5k) that has been unoccupied for ~15 years and I'm looking to take advantage of the vacant homes grant to get the house back working. While I have my own ideas on what needs to be done to get it let out I'd also like to know is there other things that should get done first.

Should I get in contact with an Engineer/Quantity Surveyor/Architect to get a survey done of the house before starting anything? Or should I go straight in contact with a general contractor with my own ideas?

I am thinking of doing the standard things of doing a rewire, replumb, remodel both bathrooms and kitchen. Then there are something I've noticed like raising damp on two walls and other more cosmetic things like adding a skylight in the upstairs bathroom etc.

I recently discovered the property shares it's water supply and foul sewer with two other properties (all built at the same time) so I'm wondering is there anything else I don't know about like does the roof need to be replaced etc. If I'm replacing the heating system should I replace it like for like or go for gas etc.

Where should I start?
My understanding is that it's not your property. So I would sort that first. Are you paying for the refurbishment? Is your father paying, organizing and then renting?

Back