Referee query

STEINER

I need to use a very senior manager to whom I reported to once as one of my referees. He is an excellent referee, I have used him once before and my role was my most senior to date. Trouble for me is that person has just recently left that organisation after 20 years, is not currently working and I only have the previous work email/phone number.

I can message on LinkedIn as we are connected but I wouldn't expect any work referee to give out their personal contact details and there are also time zone issues with this contact.

As an alternative, I am thinking of contacting the HR manager at that organisation for a reference to confirm that I did actually work there and had such and such a role etc. Prospective employer will need a work email and phone number. I worked closely on occasion with the HR manager as I worked in finance. I am going to action this today.

Any suggestions?

Have you asked him if you can put him down as a referee? He probably won't mind providing you with his personal number. Otherwise, there is no problem putting down the HR department to confirm the basics. Just depends what sort of referee they want.

Even if he doesn't give you his number (which I'm sure he will), I can't imagine him having any issue giving an email address to contact him on.

Even if he doesn't give you his number (which I'm sure he will), I can't imagine him having any issue giving an email address to contact him on.

If only you'd joined 3 weeks sooner... ;)

Back