Redundancy_VAT_social welfare support

manufacturing

Please advise us if you can.

I am going to be made redundant in about one month from full-time PAYE work and I should be entitled to social welfare support after 19 years working.

I also started my own company 3 years ago – this is a part time business (just in the evenings/weekends).

I am wondering if firstly am I entitled to any social welfare or business start-up assistance?

Also, I was thinking of registering my business for VAT. If I do that now, will that have any effect on me looking for social welfare / business start-up assistance in 1 – 2 months after I am made redundant?

I want to try out my own business on a full time basis but I am worried if after a few months it does not work am I then classed as self-employed and entitled to nothing?

I don't know if that will work when the business is already up and running, do you not have to get approval for STEA before you commence the business. Citizens info might be able to help you with the social welfare query, unless you happen to find a volunteer with accounting background they probably won't be able to help with the VAT query.

Back