redundancy lump sum

Z

zztod1

Receiving redundancy lump sum €95000 - should i pay off mortgage balance @ €71000 or should i put mortgage on hold until such time as i am working again.
Then i could continue mortgage repayments and still have lump sum to invest.
Not sure what are the best investment options - would appreciate advice

You should probably consider getting independent, professional advice from a qualified/regulated financial intermediary (e.g. from an authorised advisor preferably on the basis of a fixed fee agreed up front) as they should be better placed to assess your overall situation and needs and give you comprehensive advice.

However ... given the partial information that you've posted I don't think that putting the mortgage on hold (if, by that, you mean not making any repayments at all or only interest repayments or something like that?) is a good idea as it will merely cause your overall interest costs to increase. As mentioned here taking a repayment break is effectively borrowing the amount that you would otherwise repay.

Depending on how long you reckon it will take you to return to employment I would be inclined to at least reduce if not pay off the mortgage loan. That way you are reducing your debt burden and leaving yourself more cashflow to play with (e.g. no or lower repayments, no mortgage protection life assurance costs either if you clear the mortgage etc.). If/when you are in a more secure position with regard to employment then you can consider making savings/investments. If you have an SSIA you should endeavour to maximise the contributions as a priority, even above paying off the mortgage in part or full. If you have any debts at a hight rate than your mortgage then you should consider reducing or clearing these first. See the AAM Guide to Savings & Investments for more tips on reviewing your financial situation:

www.askaboutmoney.com/guide/index.htm

Note that you may be entitled to welfare payments (e.g. unemployment benefit or assistance and possibly other payments) and possibly also tax back while unemployed so you may not be completely without income during that period.

www.welfare.ie/schemes/unemp/index.html

Please note that I am not a professional financial advisor so don't take my comments/advice as Gospel!

These topics might also be of interest to you:

Back