Redundancy Consultation Period

purple003

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on consultation periods. Any advice would be appreciated :)

There's a number of us in my job who have been told we're at risk of redundancy. Just under 30 people in a large company so collective redundancy wouldn't apply here. Would anyone know how long the consultation period should be?

One article I read says that the WRC states that a 2-week consultation period is best practice but I can't find this on their website.

We were only given a few days to let our employer know if we wished to apply for any of the internal vacancies elsewhere in the company. Also, I won't be 2 years working there for another week so I'm stressing out about statutory redundancy.

Thanks all.

Looks like its 30 days...

Information and Consultation Process with Employees’ Representatives

There must be an information and consultation process with employees’ representatives commencing not later than 30 days before any individual notice of dismissal is issued.

The consultation with the employee representatives and the notification period for the Minister can run concurrently. It is an offence for an employer to issue notice of redundancy to any employees during the 30 day period of consultation with employee representatives. An employer found guilty on indictment shall be liable to a maximum fine of €250,000.

I had some experience like this previously..

The employee reps managed to secure at least statutory for some of our colleagues who had less than 2 years in the firm. It was more of a goodwill gesture really. Try and get the best deal possible.

Back