Recommendation for Gravel Driveway

Gunnerbar

Hi all,

I'm going to rip out my garden and driveway and put in a gravel driveway.

I'm just looking for a recommendation and someone who can add a little bit extra in design maybe.

Also can anyone tell me what cost, ballpark, I'll be looking at.

The garden is about 80 sq metres

Thanks,

Gunnerbar

Well that all depends on where your based how big an area you have, how easy is acsess is .if its town house type shouldn't be a big job.

Roadstone are nationwide and they have a large selection of gravel. However, in the end I went with Finbarr O'Neill in Ballincollig (Cork) for their "Pink Granite", nine month ago.
It looks really well when it's wet and as it's ageing the dry look is improving.
We used a separate driveway contractor to do the work and to add kerbing. I did the kerbing design myself.
Make sure you get a tonne extra of gravel and have somewhere to store it. This will come in handy over the years for repairs (which you can expect to be minor and easily done).

The advantage of gravel are many, including:
Low maintenance, and that which is needed tends to be minor.
Clean, any dirt gets washed through it by the rain.
Burglar deterrent; apparently burglars do not like it because of the noise when walking or driving on it.
Drainage: no additional drains required and puddles never form.
Finish: because of the rough finish average undulations are not visibly obvious.

Sorry, I don't have the costs.

People have complained on AAM over the years about the problems with trying to get bicycles, prams, wheelchairs etc. through the stones.
Very small gravel can be responsible for these problems. I can't recall the dimensions of my gravel but we've had no problems with bikes or prams, though the waste wheelie bin can be difficult when putting it out. Bringing it in as grand, as is the recycling wheelie bin.

The dirt being walked into the house has also been mentioned.

I've found the opposite to be the case. Dirt tends to gather and linger with tarmac, concrete, paving, etc but gets washed off gravel by the rain.

Thanks all.

I do like the coloured/reddish gravel.

The garden which is about 120 sq yards is like a jungle at the moment so I have been quoted by two; 4K and 5K. The latter from a Cement Roadstone contractor.

I'm going to have a chat with a couple of more. I really hadnt expected it to be that expensive but if thats what the cost is, then thats it.

Back