Health Insurance Recommend cover for 47yr old Male

Luternau

About me:
Good health - no ailments/no meds.

I was on a the most basic Glo Health plan last year. Thinking it would be better to pay a bit more to cover day to day expenses: GP, Routine Dental and Optical (I don't wear glasses), MRI/X-ray, Physio etc.

Any recommendations?

Luternau,

I'm not sure what kind of budget you have in mind.
The following 2 outpatient plans with Glohealth are worth considering, which can be added on to your existing plan.

1. Glohealth More Daily Care; price 120pa
2. Glohealth Most Daily Care; price 176pa
[broken link removed]

The following cash plans with Laya and VHI are worth considering;
1. Laya Money Smart 20 Individual; price 165pa
2. Laya Money Smart 30 Individual; price 245pa
3. VHI Health Individual Level 1; price 195pa.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb
I had not considered a cash plan plus a basic health insurance policy -so that is something I will consider. My Policy expired last week so upgrading to a better overall policy is an option. I have been looking around and totally confused. I had not thought of a budget. For years I had insurance and never used it — so I am still wary of paying for what I don't foresee I need (risky though) Any options out there with good cover for out patients /day to day and basic access to hospitals. Low excess ?

The cash plan + a basic cover plan is the best value option to go for, at that level.
For upgrading to a better overall policy, the price range is 1063 - 1200.
These plans cover 3 levels of hospital cover - public, private and hi-tech hospital cover. There is also good day to day cover included. Also includes better scan/x-ray cover than you would have at present.

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1063.
2. Laya Simplicity plan: price 1087.
3. Total Health Complete 175; price 1143.
4. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 1169
5. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1158

[broken link removed]

Plans less than 1000 would have higher hospital excesses for private/hi-tech hospitals.
If higher hospital excesses are not a problem, the Laya Flex Explore
plans are an option.
Excesses from 250, 375, 500, the higher the excess, the cheaper the plan price.
NOTE; these excesses do not apply to any public hospital, only private or hi-tech hospitals.
You could use a cash plan with one of these as an option.
There is also an extra 10% discount if you buy online at the moment.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi Snowyb
Now looking for a good (non expensive) plan with full for cover/ mri. Low excess for consultant /other fees. Laya Simplicity looks good but €100 excess. Any with the €1 excess and a high consultant cover? Assume no qualifying period for outpatient benefits?
Debating whether to just do the cash plan as suggested before and pay fees with money saved on the more expensive plans. Your advice is welcome.

Luternau,

It is well worth upgrading to a plan with public,private and hi-tech hospital cover. MRI cover in private facilties is included and fully covered.
The basic plans just cover public hospital cover. The same waiting list applies to people with or without health insurance, so no advantage there.
Having the option to choose a private or hi-tech hospital as an alternative is a big plus.

The options 1 to 5 in the above post would tick all the boxes.
Simplicity plan has the extra cover for a private room in a private hospital.
The other 4 plans would have the 1 excess.
There is no qualifying waiting time for outpatient benefits.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb
I came across these terms in Laya Simply Connect which seem to contradict each other :
Outpatients excess:
€1 (all benefits combined are subject to a €300 out-patient cap per member unless specified otherwise)
Outpatient limit:
No limit. Some benefits are subject to a specified out-patient cap per member.

Am I missing something?

There is a max refund per person per year, of 300 for outpatient expenses. Half of 600 = 300.
This also includes x-rays, ultrasound but not MRI scans. MRIs are treated seperately and are fully covered.

I don't know what the 'No limit' means, you'd have to query that with Laya.

Snowyb

Back