Recommend a domestic removal company?

Butter

Looking for a recommendation for a domestic removal company please?
I really would like a company who can pack for us & move everything in one run - at most two runs. It's a four bed house & we're taking everything with us but moving only about a km away from where we are now.
Also - anyone care to give an idea of what it might cost? So far one quote - €1700 which I confess is more than I expected.

It's a long time (10 years) since I used them, but I found Careline very good - moved contents of a 3-bed home in one run (about 30 miles), packing and packing boxes were included. Cost at the time including insurance was €1100, but I have to say I considered it money very well spent - I've done the DIY move before, and it's just too stressful!

What I liked about Careline was the fact that my sale closing/moving date was changed with less than 24 hours notice (purchaser delayed closing by 10 days), and when I phoned them, there was no drama (on their part, I was stressed beyond belief at that stage!), the company just rescheduled the booking.

No connection to the company, just a satisfied customer.

Having spent my entire life moving I prefer to pay. But I reduced the cost by packing myself. The banana boxes are great for large linens like curtains. I printed out A4 pages with 'Kitchen' Dishes etc.

Very stressful the whole thing. Use this as an opportunity to de clutter - hire a skip if necessary. Rule is one year not used throw it out. Not if you're a hoarder of course.

I used '2 men 2 vans' a while ago. For me it was just an apartment move so don't know what moving house might cost. Anyway I'd recommend them definitely. They got all of my move done in around an hour I think or maybe a bit over...but much faster than expected. At the same time they were careful with furniture - everything arrived with no problems at all. I can't remember the names of companies I'd used before that, anyway this one was the best and I'd definitely use again if moving again (which hopefully won't be for a while!).

Well if I thought €1700 was bad - I got a second one for nearly €3000!

Makes the original quote seem like a bargain. Thanks for the replies. Will take a look at those suggestions. I think I'll have to go for the packing option - I was told I'd be looking at 100 boxes. I think I'd lose the will to live having to do it all.

Well if I thought €1700 was bad - I got a second one for nearly €3000!

Makes the original quote seem like a bargain. Thanks for the replies. Will take a look at those suggestions. I think I'll have to go for the packing option - I was told I'd be looking at 100 boxes. I think I'd lose the will to live having to do it all.

You'll get through it, I second the 2 men and a van, my sister did this to move counties and it was a lot lot less than €1700. Unless you've got antiques or old masters do you really need more than that. Use the money you save for a treat to get over the stress, it's going to be stressful no matter what, even if you pay the professionals. I empathise with you.

That company I mentioned do crate hire as well, which I think would be better than boxes if that's what you were thinking of - getting rid of cardboard afterwards would be extra hassle I think. Crates would make packing a bit easier as well than for example looking for a box that's strong enough and for stacking on top of each other.

I agree with others that you'd save by doing at least some of the packing yourself if you can, but leave the more awkward things like furniture, TV etc for them to do.

The crates look like a good idea alright. The move is slightly complicated by the fact that we're in the middle of a chain where we need to sell to buy & our vendors need our money to buy as well. So it'll be interesting(!) to see if three lots of money & keys can be exchanged on one day! For that reason I thought one big truck capable of moving everything in one run would be best. We won't have the luxury of time or be able to do multiple runs to an empty house - they'll probably be moving their stuff out. I don't know if the two men & a van would work but I'll give them a call. There's also two men & a truck, I discovered. Why did I think moving was a good plan?! Lol.

Not wanting to be negative but a chain of two is bad enough, three must be nigh on impossible. Everybody needs to hold it together here and try to be as nice and accommodating as possible. Things like putting all the boxes in the garage/shed etc for a day or so. I'd say this is a solicitors nightmare.

It really is. The more I think about it, the more of a nightmare the logistics become.
We're meeting the solicitor next week to discuss it & we'll have to see if she's been involved in something like this before. There are four solicitors in total involved.
I'm preparing for hitches!

Back