Reclaiming car tax

Thirsty

My very elderly car is being traded in; I'd be pretty certain the dealer will send it to be scrapped - can I reclaim the car tax on it? or is it 'understood' that the dealer reclaims the car tax?

At a guess it would be around €120.

See http://www.environ.ie/local-government/motor-tax/refunds/refunds (here).

Thanks Leo, I had that info.

My question is, the car is being traded in, naturally I have to hand over the documentation and sign it over to dealer. I'm pretty sure the car will be scrapped by the dealer.

Can I claim the tax back? Or is the 'done thing' that the dealer claims any tax back?

Once I trade in the car I won't have any paperwork.

You have to have the certificate of destruction to get the tax back.

In my situation I worked out it was better financially for me to buy the new car for cash as I got a discount on that, plus I got the tax back on the car by bringing it to the center and scrapping it myself, and I also got a further €82 for the weight of metal by the scrapping centre (should have put a few concrete blocks in the boot beforehand ;) )

So, if you are handing all the documentation, and in effect are selling the car, to the dealer, then he will claim the tax back on "his" car. Why would he give you the money? I presume he has factored this into the trade in value that he is giving you for the car.

If the garage does scrap the car, then it’s their tax to get a refund on.

What might be scrap to some is often an opportunity to make a few €uros by others.

I traded in my 15 year old, very unwell car recently, the salesman I bought new from told me that although I was being allowed €3K off list price, all he would get from a smaller dealer for my car would be €250, this is reflected on the invoice and is consistent with what other sales persons told me.

I see on Done Deal, my 15 year old car with a new NCT is now for sale 250Km away for €1,850.

Back