Receiving land as gift from parent

Monte2014

My Mother in the process of gifting some land to me. She is alive and well. She was advised by her Solicitor that it will be necessary for me to engage an independent firm of solicitors in connection with the proposed transaction. Can I liaise with my Mother's Solicitor directly or am I required to appoint my own Solicitor?

You need an independent solicitor as the Law Society have now stated that in all transactions ( save some very few eg transfer of a family home into joint names of a husband and wife) both parties must have their own solicitor and will not allow your mother's solicitor to act for you.

Vanilla when did that come in...we transferred site with house built from parent to child...used same solicitor....not sure of year but approx 2007 id imagine...

Sandals, it was 1st January 2013:
"Practitioners’ attention is drawn to SI 375 of 2012, whereby a solicitor, from 1 January 2013 onward, may not act for both vendor and purchaser in a conveyancing transaction (as defined in the SI and including a voluntary transfer), except in a few limited circumstances as set out in the statutory instrument."

Back