Reason you wont be protesting on the 10th December

So we're down to about 30-40k protesters and they're allowed to shut down the City centre for most of the day.
The Luas and Bus services weren't running through the city centre. So I had to walk from Parkgate street to Irishtown, about 1hr 15mins. At O'Connell bridge about 50 protesters blocked the traffic on either end, and about 10 people blocked the luas on Abbey St. And there sole objective was to block traffic. All of course flying tricolours - real patriots.
The Riot Squad were sat in their vans around the corner on Pearse St, looking at their phones and chilling out, instead of cracking skulls and allowing traffic to flow.

Absolutely fuming that a rabble like this can continually block traffic every time the Left have a protest in Dublin. Joke

So we're down to about 30-40k protesters and they're allowed to shut down the City centre for most of the day.
The Luas and Bus services weren't running through the city centre. So I had to walk from Parkgate street to Irishtown, about 1hr 15mins. At O'Connell bridge about 50 protesters blocked the traffic on either end, and about 10 people blocked the luas on Abbey St. And there sole objective was to block traffic. All of course flying tricolours - real patriots.
The Riot Squad were sat in their vans around the corner on Pearse St, looking at their phones and chilling out, instead of cracking skulls and allowing traffic to flow.

Absolutely fuming that a rabble like this can continually block traffic every time the Left have a protest in Dublin. Joke

1st of all it was more than that and it was also a weekday too.

2nd of all
Did you see the various news stations and see the diverse type of people who marched peacefully.
People from places Donnybrook,Rathfarnham,Ballsbridge,Sandyford,Clontarf,Howth and so on.People who traveled to Dublin from all parts of the country.People who took a few hours off work to march in protest.Unemployed people,pensioners,disabled.They all marched today in a peacefull manner for a cause,to show Enda Kenny and Joan Burton just how annoyed they are and also to say to Enda and Joan that its time to listen to the people.

And you want to classify them as rabble??

Also for you to suggest that the gardai should have battoned and cracked the skulls of these peacefully protesting people,I find that very disturbing indeed.:eek:

I wonder what you will say in several years time when Enda,Joan and the EU get their way and IW is sold off and you have a huge water bill to contend with.

Next protest in Dublin is at the end of January and it will be on a Saturday too.
2 days before the deadline to register with IW.

1st of all it was more than that and it was also a weekday too.

2nd of all
Did you see the various news stations and see the diverse type of people who marched peacefully.
People from places Donnybrook,Rathfarnham,Ballsbridge,Sandyford,Clontarf,Howth and so on.People who traveled to Dublin from all parts of the country.People who took a few hours off work to march in protest.Unemployed people,pensioners,disabled.They all marched today in a peacefull manner for a cause,to show Enda Kenny and Joan Burton just how annoyed they are and also to say to Enda and Joan that its time to listen to the people.

And you want to classify them as rabble??

Also for you to suggest that the gardai should have battoned and cracked the skulls of these peacefully protesting people,I find that very disturbing indeed.:eek:

I wonder what you will say in several years time when Enda,Joan and the EU get their way and IW is sold off and you have a huge water bill to contend with.

So you saw it on TV and are an expert on it.
The Protest was at the Dail and Merrion Sq,,,,nothing whatsoever to do with deliberately blocking O'Connell bridge and the Luas line from 4-7pm. All public and private transport was stopped. Huge discomfort caused to tens of thousands by no more than 100 people. And for that reason the Gardai should have moved in, asked them to move and if nothing happened, draw batons.

Simples

So you saw it on TV and are an expert on it.
The Protest was at the Dail and Merrion Sq,,,,nothing whatsoever to do with deliberately blocking O'Connell bridge and the Luas line from 4-7pm. All public and private transport was stopped. Huge discomfort caused to tens of thousands by no more than 100 people. And for that reason the Gardai should have moved in, asked them to move and if nothing happened, draw batons.

Simples

I was actually in town myself today,I then watched it on 3 news channels later on this evening when I got home.
A wide diversity of people who peacefully protested.People from all walks of society,young and old too,abled and disabled.Alot of people took to the protest while on their lunch or took time off work today to protest.Yes,they disrupted Dublin city centre and traffic was mad busy for a time,but they did so in a completely peacefull manner so there was no need for the riot squad to "crack skulls"

I wonder what you might say in 4-5 years time when IW is sold off and you have to contend with a huge water bill?
Or when the cap is lifted and the CER ramps up water rates year on year.
They do that with gas and electricity rates,so they will do it with water rates too.

Shame they didn't stay at the Dail so, rather than impose their minority views on the real 'working class' in this country

Shame they didn't stay at the Dail so, rather than impose their minority views on the real 'working class' in this country

Im working class and I salute the protestors for protesting today.And in a completely peacefull manner too.I also salute the gardai too for being civil and respectfull of the protestors and where they protested.I actually watched 3 gardai having a good laugh and nice chat with several male and female protestors at the corner of O,Connell Street earlier today.It was all good humoured and very civil too.
I will be there marching at the next protest in January and my wife and daughter will be with me too.

Im working class and I salute the protestors for protesting today.
I will be there marching at the next protest in January and my wife and daughter will be with me too.

Thats not the point I'm making but you probably know that and like Boyd Barret et al, won't condemn the mayhem caused by the groups deliberately blocking traffic in the City centre at rush hour...which was a good distance away from where the protests were supposed to have being held

Thats not the point I'm making but you probably know that and like Boyd Barret et al, won't condemn the mayhem caused by the groups deliberately blocking traffic in the City centre at rush hour...which was a good distance away from where the protests were supposed to have being held

Rather odd that you decided to remove allmost half of my previous post,in order to suit yourself.You know the part about the gardai and peacefull protestors on O'Connell Street having a laugh and nice civil chat with each other.Funny that you purposely removed that part of my post.Its like as if you wanted to avoid it and side step it alltogether.

With regards to this post of yours...............
I work,I work hard,Im a working class person.So too does my wife.I voted FG last time.The goverment now take alot of money off of both of us in the form of taxes and cuts aswell.Tax this,tax that,tax the other.We work longer hours for less pay and we dont get to spend as much time with our daughter as we should.
And FG/Labour want to try and ruin our futures even more now,and also our daughters future too.Charge this,charge that,charge the other.
We have had enough and wont take any more of it.

I was in town myself today on business and I got delayed too.But my wife and myself both salute the protestors and their reason for protesting today in and around Dublin City Centre.

Myself,my wife and my daughter will be there in January protesting.I will enjoy making some colourfull placards with my daughter for the protest.:)

There were circa 40,000 people around Merrion Sq/Dáil. The disruption was minimal given the numbers. There was a wide demographic, all seemed good natured and good humoured. It should have been bookended though, perhaps ending at 3pm rather than dragging on.
At O'Connell bridge about 50 protesters blocked the traffic on either end, and about 10 people blocked the luas on Abbey St. And there sole objective was to block traffic.
This is separate and unrepresentative of the main protest, and the Gardaí should have dealt with it.

Rather odd that you decided to remove allmost half of my previous post,in order to suit yourself.You know the part about the gardai and peacefull protestors on O'Connell Street having a laugh and nice civil chat with each other.Funny that you purposely removed that part of my post.Its like as if you wanted to avoid it and side step it alltogether.

With regards to this post of yours...............
I work,I work hard,Im a working class person.So too does my wife.I voted FG last time.The goverment now take alot of money off of both of us in the form of taxes and cuts aswell.Tax this,tax that,tax the other.We work longer hours for less pay and we dont get to spend as much time with our daughter as we should.
And FG/Labour want to try and ruin our futures even more now,and also our daughters future too.Charge this,charge that,charge the other.

I was in town myself today on business and I got delayed too.But my wife and myself both salute the protestors and their reason for protesting today in and around Dublin City Centre.

Myself,my wife and my daughter will be there in January protesting.I will enjoy making some colourfull placards with my daughter for the protest.:)

I'll quote you fully this time lest you think there's a conspiracy theory at play!

You are like a politician in how you won't answer the question. I take it so from your evasive response that you support the likes of Eirigi blocking the main arteries in town, nearly a mile away from where the protest was officially held. For no reason other than to be seen to be the hard men, and to garner publicity for themselves alone.

I don't care whether the Gardai were chatting and laughing with protesters at O'Connell bridge- perhaps they were earlier in the day, during the march. And thats good to see.
But there were no Gardai having a laugh at 6pm in the evening on O'Connell bridge- they were too bust standing back letting a few layabouts and trouble makers disrupt the lives of the 'working class' who were working yesterday!
This is now becoming a custom during city centre protests - if the crack down had happened the 1st day they tried it, they wouldn't be doing it still. But like everything in this country, laws are selectively enforced.

I’m working class as well; I derive my income from my days work. I take home less money than I did in 2008, despite pay increases as my tax and health insurance rates have gone through the roof. I am part of the group who has seen the biggest proportional reductions in net income. I see these increases in tax as absolutely necessary in order to sort out the mess that previous governments caused (FF/PD, FF/Labour, FF/Green). I see them as necessary to safeguard my children’s future. The populism of the economically illiterate hodge-dodge collection of leaders of the anti-water charges/ anti-austerity/ anti-reality groups frightens me and if they had their hands on the reins of power I would despair for the future of this country. I don’t doubt the sincerity of Paul Murphy though his politics, if followed, would destroy my children’s future. The same applies to Ruth Coppinger and Richard Boyd Barrett. I consider the involvement of the Shinners and the Unions to be completely populist and opportunist.

While I disagree with their views I am glad to see people protesting and engaging in some sort of political activism.

Who could argue with an App.

Ha Ha - true!

Good to see some sort of logical method used though rather than the usual bluster and "pick a figure out of the sky" effort that normally accompanies these things

30K, 100K whatever? I think all sides can agree that more than 4 million people did not answer the call for a monster rally.

Anybody else get physically sick at the sight of Grisly trying to get in on the act? This was the guy who (uncharacteristically) said he would keep the law and pay his water charges. I actually hope the likes of Murphy, Daly, Pottinger et al continue to erode the hitherto SF monopoly on nihilistic protest.

I'll quote you fully this time lest you think there's a conspiracy theory at play!

You are like a politician in how you won't answer the question. I take it so from your evasive response that you support the likes of Eirigi blocking the main arteries in town, nearly a mile away from where the protest was officially held. For no reason other than to be seen to be the hard men, and to garner publicity for themselves alone.

I don't care whether the Gardai were chatting and laughing with protesters at O'Connell bridge- perhaps they were earlier in the day, during the march. And thats good to see.
But there were no Gardai having a laugh at 6pm in the evening on O'Connell bridge- they were too bust standing back letting a few layabouts and trouble makers disrupt the lives of the 'working class' who were working yesterday!
This is now becoming a custom during city centre protests - if the crack down had happened the 1st day they tried it, they wouldn't be doing it still. But like everything in this country, laws are selectively enforced.

What in gods holy are you on about now?

I responded to your posts and did not evade them in any way.

I dont need any politician to tell me what to do and I dont even know who Eirigi even are???

I also think (judging by your posts) you would like to gardai to actually crack skulls open so that you could go off on one even more about the protestors.Because for you to say that the riot police should be cracking skulls of those peacefull protestors is a shocking statement to make.
I was in town at 5pm yesterday and saw the gardai with male and female protestors at O,Connell Street chatting to each other in a nice,peacefull friendly manner.

Im a normal hard working person like my wife who have had enough of austerity and having money taken from us in all forms now.

The select rich get richer and the working class and poor are picked on and made poorer.
Im sick of all the waffle from Enda and Joan that my wife and myself will see more money in our pockets and that the "economy" is back in business.Its not for alot of people in this country.

People seem to forget that in 2016 the property tax caps will be lifted and property tax will shoot through the roof.
Then wait till 2019 when the water charge caps are lifted and you get hit with the "real water charges" and lets see how many people are put on the poverty line then.

Enda and Joan wont be "listening" then,because both of them will be long gone sitting back on nice fat pensions.

30K, 100K whatever? I think all sides can agree that more than 4 million people did not answer the call for a monster rally.

Anybody else get physically sick at the sight of Grisly trying to get in on the act? This was the guy who (uncharacteristically) said he would keep the law and pay his water charges. I actually hope the likes of Murphy, Daly, Pottinger et al continue to erode the hitherto SF monopoly on nihilistic protest.

Im sick of the lot of them to be honest with you.Im sick off all the party TDs.
I personally have had a gutt full of all their carry on in the dail where they are supposed to do things for the people,as we are supposed to be their bosses,yet all the lot of them do in there is slagg each other off and throw accusations around.They they have a nice drink and chat with each other in the dail bar at our expense.

Phil Hogan screws up IW and what happens to him?
He gets sent off over to the EU to get an even bigger salary,even more expenses claims and a nice fat pension.
The week before he leaves for the EU,he appoints a load of ex counciler friends of his to various company boards and gets them all nice cushy jobs too.Yet again its "jobs for the boys"

If my wife or myself screwed up in our jobs we would be severely demoted or more than likely let go completely.

Back